Home News

Blender 2.53 is released

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder

Blender has a new Beta out, bringing it up to version 2.53. I was going to try to give you a breakdown on the important bits, but as you can see here, they have changes across the board in the tool; Physics, rendering, animations, sculpting, modeling, etc have all got updates.

If you haven't seen Blender in a while, you might stop on in.

Here's some cut and pasted bits from the website if you haven't been convinced to go look yet:

Updated GUI

Blender 2.5 has a new GUI layout, with updated graphic design and a new icon set. The GUI layout has been re-designed to be clearer, better organised and easier to navigate, and is fully customisable with Python scripting. Other improvements include a new file browser, customisable tool shelf and more.

Custom keyboard shortcuts
Blender 2.5 has been designed from scratch to enable users to configure their own keyboard shortcuts. Key definitions are be grouped in "key maps", and each map can be fully customized and saved. Keymaps can also be configured for special input methods such as directional gestures and tweak events, any-key modifiers, or multi-key input.

64 bits for Windows, Linux & OS X
Next to Linux and Windows, we now support a 64 bits versions for OS X too. This required a full recode of the low level windowing library to support Cocoa, which is good news for Blender's future on Macs in general!

Paint Brushes
Blender's method of accessing brushes for painting tasks has been updated and streamlined. Brushes store all paint-related settings, such as size, strength, tool type, textures and influence curve, and can be switched between in the brush list box or with shortcut keys. As well as the preset brushes included with Blender, you can also save your own, and assign your own shortcut keys to them.

Particles
Particle systems have had a refresh, now taking advantage of fully interactive animation playback and editing. New additions include particle path editing with brush tools, a new point caching system, new boids physics and hair dynamics using cloth simulation.

Smoke Simulation
Blender 2.5 includes a new fluid-based smoke simulation engine. Alongside this is capability to scale up a low-resolution sim, maintaining detail with wavelet turbulence. Smoke can be generated by input particle motion, and can be affected by colliding obstacles and force fields. The smoke data is output as voxels, which can be rendered as a volume

Replies

• felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Good news, ought to check it out. Release log links seem to be broken though, as least on my end.
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    No news on Bmesh and n-gons?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The links should be fixed now.
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    It's getting close to a stable final 2.5 release, Blender is barely recognizable anymore and I mean that in a better way! I only wish that the default control scheme were closer to applications like Max, Maya and other applications when it comes to select/deselect, camera orientation and the like. There is a Maya preset configuration but it's really basic and buggy right now, it's a good start though!
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    News on BMesh from Joe Eager (the developer coding the whole damn thing): "BMesh is nearing full completeness and stability, and I believe it can be merged into trunk within one (at most two) months."

@Denny: while the defaults certainly aren't the same, it's pretty easy to set it up in a similar enough fashion.

REALLY wish bevel would be fixed though. I know why it hasn't been, but a temporary one would be much appreciated.
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Dim. BMesh is the the only feature I'm waiting for. Then I'll give Blender a try. I already know how to use Blender's interface, but I refuse to work on tris and quads only ;)