Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ZBrush Critique ~First Post on Polycount

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
This is my first time posting on here, and I just wanted to see if I could get some constructive criticism about the character I am sculpting in ZBrush. His name is "Choke" the chicken, and he is the mascot for the chicken shop named "What the Cluck?". I am working on my sculpt of him for a senior portfolio class, and I am planning on getting it 3d printed when I am finished. This is also my first sculpt in ZBrush ever.

Her is my concept art:

Here is my model so far: (sorry it took me so long to get the orthographics up)

Replies

• DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome to Polycount. Just from what I am able to see, it looks like you're depending on your orthographic views. Frankly, it's tough to provide any meaningful advice with just a front view of your sculpt because it's difficult to judge the forms. It might help to provide a 3/4 view of the front and rear with perspective turned on.

Also, I'm noticing that certain things aren't the same on both sides. Do you know about symmetry? You can press "X" and sculpting on one side of the model affects the other(as long as the Y axis is vertical, and the Z axis is front/rear).

I hope this helps, and so far, it looks like a good first attempt.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man welcome!

i would say a toony chicken is probably making your life a little harder than it needs to be. like Dash said. its a little hard to tell from orthographic style views but he looks kinda flat.

If i were you i would break it down more. Aim small Miss small.

so if you just get the basic shape by taking simple geometry and using the move tools. then start making a specific part. like the head say, and trying to get the basic form right. before trying to focus in on details.

Looking at the top there i can see you are up at 230k polygons.. when you are starting out always work on low subdivision levels until you have the shape roughed it. makes life a lot easier.

keep at it dude. will gladly help. might make a set of stills showing you what i mean tomorrow. ive been out all day and i just got home at 3AM. right now i think sleep (or a lack thereof) might be making me hard to understand!
  • asperoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice. I can definitely put some different views up here tomorrow. Also I figured out that my local symmetry wasn't turned on so it got a little off there. Im not sure how to make them completely symmetrical on both sides again.
  • asperoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum thanks for the advice as well. I should probably take the subdivisions down a little bit. It seems like I've been trying to work on the details a little to quickly. Your right it is a toon chicken which means that it is a very smooth flat surface with not much texture. Also I am a girl.