Home Adobe Substance

Designer>Painter Normal data question...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
So I'm working on a project and I'm using it as an good opportunity to gain fluency in these tools.

I've created several pretty basic .sbar exported substances in Designer for use in Painter where I figured I'd take the basics and go the rest of the way to creating a fully detailed and fleshed out level of texturing for my various assets.

My substances all have a bitmaps either plugged directly into the base color and normal outputs while roughness and metallic are using various other nodes.

The normal outputs all have normal maps plugged into them without any sort of other nodes between them in their outputs.

I exported my sbars. without apparent issue and when they go into Painter, it seems content with them and doesn't complain.

My problem though is that Painter doesn't want to consider the tiling normal map that is part of the imported .Sbar as a normal map. If map the "height" in the channels mapping to "normal" (it starts out saying 'basecolor') my bumpy-ness disappears and makes little-to-none-at-all of a contribution to an exported normal map out of Painter for setting up in UE4.

What gives? What am I missing?

pf

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It may be that the names of your outputs are nor set right. Make sure your normal map output identifier is "normal", your height is "height", etc.
    That's what Substance Painter uses to plug the outputs to the right slots.
    Also, if you want to use normal maps instead of height data in Painter, make sure to create a Normal map channel in the texture set settings.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the rapid response, Jerc!

Are you saying that if I have a normal map plugged into my graph and then the Substance gets published as an .sbar, Painter won't recognize my normal map as a normal unless that original normal .tga that I imported into Designer conforms to a specific naming convention?

I'm not wanting to sound incredulous, I'm just wanna make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

pf
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, what if I want to use a combination of normal and height data. For instance, in this case, I have these sbars that describe a basic material that's fairly unadorned or fleshed out. Like a raw and unpainted planked wood or whatever....it was in Painter that I figured I'd work things further with chipping and weathering and dirt and moss etc. I imagine that all of that stuff is going to be height data in Painter...but I have this normal map that I need to be relevant as well. Is that okay? Can I get away with that?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The naming matters on the output node in Substance Designer, the name of the bitmap you use doesn't matter. Just make sure the output node you plug your bitmap to has "normal as its identifier.

f8vB73n.png

In Painter, normal data will be blended with height data, so you can bring a substance that has a normal output (add the normal channel to your texture set) and you can paint height on top of it, Substance Painter will take care of merging everything.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jerc,

I had my node plugged into the correct place so I'll add a normal channel a bit later and see how things work out!

pf