Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Fuel Robot

Hey everyone, this is my first thread in the main polycount section so sorry if i screw up the formatting. I'v started a new project to try and learn substance painter and make a great portfolio peice.

First thing done was make a mood board of the kind of result I wanted to achieve and interesting details to incorporate into the build.
moodboard.jpg

Then a bunch of sketches on paper, leading to a side on sketch for the block out in 3ds Max
sketchout.jpg

Lastly for tonight the block out itself. I have added some cylinders into the hierarchy so I could move things around and make sure it would pose nice with ought having to re-position each piece of the body.
Pres_working_1.jpg
Pres_working_2.jpg
Pres_working_3.jpg

what do you think so far? any advice fro the upcoming process? is the presentation awful? I'd love to know, Critique thoroughly welcomed.

Replies

• Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Looks pretty good so far... for visual benefits wise... maybe make the back legs a little bigger? or add a small variation to make them look a tad bit stronger and give it a slight slant forwards after adjusting them? kind of like how dessert patrol cars look... I've never been a fan of symmetric front and back legs on insect type designs (Y) but discard critiques at will.. since this is just a personal preference on style rather than functionality design.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    I was gonna mention Paul Pepera's Hard Surface Sections, but it seems it's already in your mood board :D
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, i tried enlarged blacklegs and it made the walking pose better but I really like the uniformity when the legs are folded, as it implies the legs are interchangeable and replaceable and reinforces the robot look.

Paul Pepera's hard surface stuff is awesome isn't it ^_^

now for progress, i'v started the high poly and have finished most of the head, very happy whit how the eyes came out and the head cover (not-sure what else to call it) has a nice detail balance. think it needs some screws/bolts though.
    Pres_working_4.jpg
    Pres_working_5.jpg
    Pres_working_6.jpg
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 3 update ^_^, i'm going to try and do daily updates on progress, it seems to be working so far.
    Most of the head is done now, just need to add some more superfluous paneling, some more screws and the support structure and joint for the head section to connect to the main body.
    some thins to note.
    the hoses i intend some to be rubber with stamped on ID numbers and the others to be met cabling like this.
    metal002.jpg

as for some of the detail pieces in the head i used a mix of computer parts and the geometric paneling used by Bungie in the sleeper stimulant, i love the sharp and contrasting shapes it creates and how it really adds to the computer feel of the brain case section

sleeper sim for reference looks like this:
    mark-van-haitsma-exotic-30-new-front-perspective.jpg (done by Mark Van Haitsma link: https://www.artstation.com/artist/mvhaitsma cool stuff)

Pres_working_7.jpg
    Pres_working_8.jpg
    Pres_working_9.jpg
    Pres_working_10.jpg
    Pres_working_11.jpg
    Pres_working_12.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Very cool man, I like it!
  • Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    love the details
  • devonmousseau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devonmousseau polycounter lvl 4
    Love it man, the inside of the head really gets me ! Can't wait to see the finished piece.
  • MingoXMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MingoXMX vertex
    Looking great so far, waiting for next update!
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that was a busy weekend, here's Mondays update. the head high poly is now complete, before I continue onward to model the rest of the robot I want to take the head piece through the entire bake pipeline with substance to
    1. be sure I can do it and
    2. be more familiar with it for when I get to the other areas of the robot. This is the most complicated model I'v delt with so far and i'm rather nervous about the normal map bakeing :S gonna looks sweet once it's done though :D
    Pres_working_13.jpg
    Pres_working_14.jpg
    Pres_working_15.jpg
    Pres_working_16.jpg
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I've gone away, finished a bunch of other projects and now i'm coming back but some more experience and i intend to finish the whole robot and texture it this time.

The body is fully blocked in, there are a few pieces that need high polys but once those are done, its time for unwrapping and bakeing. Very happy with the progress so far. can't wait to finally finish this one.