Home Technical Talk

Texture Blending to Recreate Paper Mario Effect?

I would like to recreate a fireball effect from Paper Mario in OpenGL, but I am not sure where to start. Here is a video of the effect:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PklBETCihr0[/ame]

When the enemy is attacked with the fire flower, there is a large explosion of fire:
frames.png

This was not achieved via pre-rendered sprites, but instead by blending multiple frames of the following animation together:
dustframes.png

My problem is that I can't figure out how the frames were layered together. The beginning of the animation seems to use additive blending, but I have no idea how make the fireball open and break apart the way it does.

Here is the (extremely) rough prototype I created to test additive and subtractive blending:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9KZx743r9A[/ame]

I think it's on the right track, but it's definitely not perfect. Do you have any ideas as to what I might be missing?

Replies

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Nice video. If only everyone asking for help would edit material like this to make it easier to understand.

It seems to use additive blending throughout the whole sequence, that's why you get the saturated, overexposed colours.
    I don't understand the original texture being greyscale, though. Where does the red, orange and white colours come from?

If I understand the animation behind it, it seems to be standard animated particles.

EDIT: There seems to be some change in scaling too, so the further into the animation, the bigger the particles get.
    After reflecting some more, I think it happens like this:

- At the start of the effect, spawn some particles with some random scattering (just a small spread) and random rotation. All these particles are textured with frame 1 from the texture.
    - At each frame, scale up the particles by some fixed amount (30% larger, for example), and switch their texture to the next frame. Don't change their location or rotation, just the scale.

The particles should have additive blending.
    With just this I think it should look like the original.
  • MasterGamePro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that makes much more sense than what I was trying.