Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: HIGH POLY

darmar
vertex
Offline / Send Message
darmar vertex
Is there any tutorial how to do HIGh poly model in quixel?

I dont want low poly.

Replies

• Pleasure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pleasure mod
    darmar wrote: »
    Is there any tutorial how to do HIGh poly model in quixel?

I dont want low poly.

You would need a cavity map to use Quixel as intended. (Normally in 1.8 Quixel would convert the normal to a cavity map. But since you do not have a Normal in HP workflow, you need to provide one. (Cavity map) The rest of the workflow is the same as with a low poly model.
  • Raane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raane polycounter lvl 3
    Cavity or curvature? There's no input for cavity.
    You might be able to get some results with an AO bake and a curvature but you'll have to manually handle the curvature because DDO blows it out.

What are you trying to do?
  • darmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darmar vertex
    Thank u its working i guess
  • Pleasure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pleasure mod
    i mixed up cavity with curvature, sorry for that. But seems like darmar got it working.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    endeffect polycounter lvl 8
    Is there any good workflow to bake curvature from medium poly smooth edge bevel model? I'm using 3ds max quad chamfer modifier to make bevels for hard surface objects and let it set custom vertex normals to look smooth, but baking curvature is really big problem. I can't get proper curvature bake since there is no high poly to bake or normal map to convert to curvature. I tried high poly workflow from quixel feature "Eric Ramberg". But it doesn't work correct on beveled only models properly.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    Well, it's seems to be a second vote for that feature :)
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    I've done it ok. Just make sure your model is smoothed when you export it. Put it in both the high and the low inputs in xNorlmal and bake your curvature from there. You might need to tweak the settings a,little but it works.

There's another option where you create a n object space normal and use that to create a curvature map.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll make new tests then. Before i tried same method with xnormal but couldn't get proper curvature maps. Only modo's renderer was giving me 'almost' correct ones but still need to make a little bit adjustments on levels.

Is it possible to convert object space normal map to curvature in quixel as we do for tangent space normal maps on import?

I really wonder this because i'm not sure problem is my curvature bake or the problem Synaesthesia mention before. Here is a quote from him from another thread.
    The custom curvature input is broken in 1.8. It's not performing as expected due to the algorithm blowing out the map, which is why anything above medium is generally difficult to work with. 2.0 has solved this issue. We're in the final beta test right now, so look forward to the release soon!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    DDO currently only uses curvature input from the normal map that was provided or a custom curvature map. There is no other way to use a curvature map as the program stands currently. If you're specifying a custom curvature map, the problem is likely because of that - as I mentioned in that quote, the algorithm is completely broken right now. But rest assured, it's working quite fantastically in 2.0! :)
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are teasing us with what we don't have at the moment. :)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Believe me, I wish I could do more - but until 2.0 releases, the most I can do is tell you that things have massively improved. There's a lot of stuff I can't even talk about yet, but I think everyone will be more than pleasantly surprised when they find out. :)
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks anyway for answering our questions very fast :) I'm very excited for new suite.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    I've done it ok. Just make sure your model is smoothed when you export it. Put it in both the high and the low inputs in xNorlmal and bake your curvature from there. You might need to tweak the settings a,little but it works.

There's another option where you create a n object space normal and use that to create a curvature map.

Neither of those methods don't create a good curvature. In simple bake with custome vertex normals a result is dont correct.
    I expect to see only white gradient without hardedges were noticable.
    QMYDBoL.jpg?1

The only way to create curvature from OSNM is to blur it out in 3dCoat (automatically) or Mudbox (manually) to create corresponding normal map and then create curvature, but even in that case result will be inaccurate.