Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max horrible packing compared to other packages

Replies

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    After reading this post I gave IPackThat another try and I have to say I'm impressed by the improvements it get since the test-phase.
    After re-packing some of my old models I realisted the % of used UV Space is not that big change (mostly ~ 2-5%) but the speed compared to "doing it by hand" is so much faster.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling wrote: »
    After reading this post I gave IPackThat another try and I have to say I'm impressed by the improvements it get since the test-phase.
    After re-packing some of my old models I realisted the % of used UV Space is not that big change (mostly ~ 2-5%) but the speed compared to "doing it by hand" is so much faster.

Well said. Even if you CAN match the results it generates, it gets there in a fraction of the time that you would.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    How does iPackThat compare to a tool like Headsu UVLayout? I was under the impression that UVLayout was the best tool, actually. But not for packing itself?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iPackThat only does packing. That's it. So it's more specialized then Headus. Headus packing is good but I find iPackThat to be better.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    It should be noted that some of the most interesting packing features of Headus UV Layout like boxes, rotate, etc. are pro version only so if you got the hobbyist edition investing in Ipackthat is probably a good idea.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I have the demo version of IPT, but didnt know how it compared to Headus in terms of purely layout\packing.
    Thanks for giving IPT a +1, Warren! Seems to be the winner :)

Oh yeah, I forgot that was only pro features. Thanks for pointing it out, Mant, that seems to be the deciding factor for me :)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    Hey man, thanks for the answer - if you could be a little more specific, I'd like to understand your points!

Interesting, can you elaborate? I don't get it.

Ditto. A specific example would be great!

See Warren answer about grouping shells in modern packers - I think it covers this use case, let me know if it doesn't.

You mean in Photoshop. I do my 'detailing by hand' in a 3d texturing suite.

Hmm. cant nest quotes.

Lods: if youre sharing textures across lods you need to lay uvs out very specifically - its hard to give a good example without pictures but you need to place uvs perceptually in place from a planar projection rather than based on how they are actually connected to each other

Shader effects: the obvious example is scrolling uvs but you can do all sorts of other stuff

Sharing across multiple assets: similar to the Lod issue really but with weirder overlapping

Readable uvs: no studio works exclusively in 3d paint apps, how do you deal with text or Graphic design elements effectively in conjunction with vis artists? How do you batch process maps?

Im sure an autopacker would help with a lot of these issues but I feel that at best id be saving 10/15% of the time I spend unwrapping the sort of things I deal with most of the time

I should qualify im looking at this from a production perspective rather than a pretty portfolio piece perspective so priorities and requiremtns are different.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    poopipe wrote: »
    I should qualify im looking at this from a production perspective rather than a pretty portfolio piece perspective so priorities and requiremtns are different.

Yes, that's why your answer is very interesting to me. I appreciate your taking the time to elaborate.