Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Sharing is my first animation reel

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
penOr polycounter lvl 7
https://vimeo.com/142832793

I've finally finished my animation reel and will begin looking for jobs!
Here is a link to my website which has some video game animation that I've done for the DotA 2 Workshop.

(still need to do that resume!)

Replies

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    very cool man! I think you should do a montage of the DotA2 animations, ~10 seconds or so; and place that right after the twinkies bit. Especially if you are aiming for game animation gigs.
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Great idea Hito, would definitely be useful for recruiters especially at game studios
  • Menriet
    Offline / Send Message
    Menriet polycounter lvl 10
    Haha I saw your reel on reddit a few days ago and was impressed! Nice work man. I agree with Hito, definitely put the dota stuff in if you're looking into getting into game animation. That spider ward is sweet and I wouldn't want recruiters not seeing that!
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Hmm I'm not sure about putting the game animation INTO the reel, since I don't think it is up to scratch for a film or vfx studio. I like the idea of doing a montage including the best bits from all the dota 2 stuff that runs for about a minute
  • theANMATOR
    Offline / Send Message
    theANMATOR polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Ross - I was going to point out the two weak points in the main reel are the guy sliding across the car - the speed and motion just look off because a small person has to put in more effort and umph! momentum to slide across a car like that. Also there is some odd render/motion blur error on the front tires before the car drives off.
    The second weak part of the reel is the guy that falls and throws the ball. His reaction to the land is non-existent and too fast, and how he never looks where he is running off to just don't form a good motion. Also - there's too much motion blur in the motion which looks like it's just added to mask the marginal animation.
    So suggest removing those elements and adding in a montage of the pug, the Jitsu Ward, and Eldwyn into the first reel to replace the weak points.
    Personally - the animation of the spider looks good, the eye movement is good, but it's kind of boring - so I'd leave that out.

I think you'd have a better chance landing something with one focused reel rather than two separate ones, especially since the game reel has only DOTA mods in it, and nothing related to actual game development. May consider looking into an indie project to get some hands on experience.

Overall nice work.