Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MK2 HE grenade - some PBR practice

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
rodpv polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys, what's up?!

I just wanted to share with you this MK2 grenade (high explosive version) which I modeled as a side exercise for the Futurepoly course.

Since I usually focus on high poly and organic forms this was a nice exercise to practice hard surface and PBR pipelines for games.

It was modeled in Max and textured in Ndo/Ddo. Rendered in Marmoset.

If you wanna play with the Marmoset Viewer it's here: http://www.artstation.com/artwork/b0O8g

rodolfo-fanti-mk2composite.jpg

rodolfo-fanti-4.jpg

rodolfo-fanti-1.jpg

rodolfo-fanti-2.jpg

rodolfo-fanti-3.jpg

Replies

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    hey! cool grenades!
    I think you should decrease the intensity of your detail normals though.. notice how it's super noisy?
    And I'd play with the gloss/roughness values some more.. the rust is super shiny which is kinda weird
  • rodpv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodpv polycounter lvl 10
    Cay wrote: »
    hey! cool grenades!
    I think you should decrease the intensity of your detail normals though.. notice how it's super noisy?
    And I'd play with the gloss/roughness values some more.. the rust is super shiny which is kinda weird

Hey Cay thanks for the feedback!

There's a bit of sharpening and grain coming from the post in Marmoset. Also the grenade looks way more "dry" with other lights and in 3do.. I kinda liked this wetness though. It looks a bit more rough and sexy :shifty:
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I like it a lot. Reducing the strength of the normals (Mainly on the bare metal) would do wonders for making this piece top notch.
  • rodpv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodpv polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Jack, yeah I fiddled quite a bit to get the crispiness of the yellow paint while contrasting it with the bare metal. I wanted to texture also the other variations of the MK2 so I'll try to play a bit more with the bumps of those ones.