Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thompson machine gun - w.i.p

Hey guys, not all that original... and probably very over done, but any feedback would be good before I start retopologising this hi poly version. I haven't done much hard surface modeling, so I'm very rusty and a little slow. I found making this rewarding, but very laborious!

Rendered:

oY6TLNO.jpg
1buvPyI.jpg

Wireframe:
FiMVVHP.png
pu05fKw.png
VfNqlDy.png
YzD89Gm.png
H6vGz9q.png

Thanks for looking :)

Replies

• RoastinGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! I especially like the magazine.
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right so I have been working pretty long hours on this! Been a bit of a learning curve.. but I'm really happy with how it turned out! I did notice the only thing I made a mistake with was the magazine being back to front. Should be a simple fix.... you'd hope.

oLPhfew.jpg
    kd1zjTw.jpg
    Dc5LX9Z.jpg
    znLSBrc.jpg
    fDpNVy6.jpg
    auXYjXg.jpg
    vPb2JaL.jpg

thanks for looking :D
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hi luch174,

That's good job and way to finish it. Couple things I noticed, is that your high-poly has super sharp edges. You didn't post your normal so I can't confirm it, but it's always good to soften up the edges to get a better overall bake. There are brilliant sticky posts by EQ in the tech talk section about all that.

Also on that topic, there are some spots like the very back bolt and some side bolts that could use some more geo, which will also result in a better looking model and bake. The metal looks decent but the wood could use some work for sure.

Keep at it!
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Doomathon, thanks :) Yeah I agree, I wish I had added just a few more sides there, unfortunately it's part of the body mesh, so adding more sides will be tricky, could always delete it though and just add some mesh there instead. I found the wood quite hard to get right, I think il tweak it and see what results I can get. Here are my maps:

vA3JFm1.jpg
    RPMCdAQ.jpg
    LI6kcMH.jpg
    LUiRjh2.jpg
    HmDp7Yk.jpg

Il search down that thread!