Home Adobe Substance

Baking normals

Alexis MR
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Alexis MR polycounter lvl 6
Hello, everyone. I'm trying to bake normals from high poly mesh. I can't get it right, I tried changing the max frontal and max rear distances, and it makes almost no difference. I also tried using a cage, but it's no use. The weird thing is, I have my object broken into pieces and one of them is perfectly right, while the others have one of these problems: the normal map looks almost plane, or the baking on the edges doesn't look accurare. I tried also cheking the average normals box, which gave me different resoults, but none is good.

-First image is an example with cage, then the same model without cage and the high poly mesh from I'm trying to bake, last the other kind of error on the edges.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    First you need to set the smoothing / hard edges of your low poly model.

Second, if your bakes are not matching uvs, then you should reset the xforms of both your high and low poly model.
  • Alexis MR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexis MR polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, Quack, I had some problems with mi pc and now I'm back and you are absolutelly right, I missed the step about the normals's angle. But I still get the error on the edges, though. I'll make some test (if I can, I'm still dealing with some issues..), and see if I can get it right. Thanks again.