Home Career & Education

Dissertation ideas about envrioment creation out of concept art

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
lpanic polycounter lvl 3
Hello!

I am going to write a dissertation on my final university year and I would like to ask You for a little help if you have already been through it.

My plan is to create 3D environment out of concept art and render it inside UE4 engine. Now question is how to write dissertation about it. I have thought about "Converting 2D concept art into working 3D environment". With that topic in mind I would be able to write about limitations, lighting and rendering techniques and maybe even few different aspects.

Problem here is that I am not sure if it will be enough for work with word count 8000. Research also seems to be hard.

That's why if any of You mates have been through this do you have any ideas for topics or tips I could use?

Appreciate any advice.

thank you.

//sorry for spelling errors in the topic name just spotted them and can't edit it. xD

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    8000 words seems more than enough , just explaining some workflow info and why you did some stuff like you did. Its a visual asset after all ;)
  • lpanic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lpanic polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Joao. I am a bit more confident now about that topic.

Wasn't sure at the start if it will be okay as dissertation(get enough resources for bibliography). Now after speaking with few people it seems like I should be alright writing about it. :)
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    It really depends on what degree you want to achieve. 8000 Words sounds like bachelors degree which is easy to achieve if you´ve already written some papers around 20 or 30 pages.

For a bachelors-degree you would need to do a bit of research. For a masters-degree the research part would need to be bigger. But it really depends on the requirements of your university.

If you want to do a bit more research which would lead in a more scientific thesis you could try to compare your environment in 3 different engines. Try to set up the same lightning, shaders and stuff in unreal, cryengine and unity. Try to compare those workflows. Write about problems, write whats not possible in engine X and why is it possible in engine Y.
  • lpanic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lpanic polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Wiki.

It's my first time when I am going to write 30pages but I am positive xd..

It's BA degree. Idea about comparing scene in different engines sounds great I will try to do it.

Should I use it then as my project topic? Or just add it into one I already have? Then my research could be some books about engines, documentation about them and maybe some tutorials. Not sure if 3dmotive or youtube etc. tutorials are seen okay as research?

Thank you for your post :)
  • richarddylan69
    Yeah i agree with Jao Sapiro that 8000 thousand words is too long. Mostly viewers are not likes that kind of long post so wrote short as well as possible.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    lpanic wrote: »
    Should I use it then as my project topic?
    I would describe it in the first pages of your thesis. Your title can be something shorter :). Like "Adapting a 2D illustration into 3D Games-Engines".
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    For supporting information you can always "interview" people about certain pieces here on polycount. I asked a few people on the workflows used for different styles a few years back for my dissertation. You can then discuss the relevance, prevalence, efficiency, issues with stylisation, realism and so on in relation to each piece. First hand data was one of the highest gains in final grades and will help drastically.

It will also give you a jump point to develop ideas as well. Before you ask people, make sure you know what you want from the interview, ie prepare questions about a specific piece but also have some generic questions you can compare across the other interviews. Sleep before you send it off, i messed up my original public Q/A on here since i'd been awake on caffeine pills too long.

Best of luck!
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    1. concept art for video games
    -reasons
    -techniques (digital/hand drawn)
    - successfull artists

2. 3D applications (modelling)
    -3DS Max
    -Maya

3. Sculpting apps
    -ZBrush
    -Sculptris
    -Mudbox

4. Intended applications to use based on evaluation of above

5. Application workflow and best practices

6. investigation into 3D modelling techniques, i.e box modelling/subdivision modelling
    - techniques used in industry

7. Evidence showing how you developed your skill set through research. I'e learning new techniques, how to uv map correctly etc.

8. Learning how to sculpt in said application

9. Development of skill set

10. What is texuring/materials/PBR (diffuse/albedo, spec, gloss, roughness, height, normal, AO, etc)

11. which technique will you use and why?

12. Learn how to paint textures within Mudbox etc

13. Learn how to bake textures

14. Learn how to create material from textures in Unity/UE4 etc

15. Evaluate your materials. Are they good enough, get feedback

16. Develop materials further.

17. Show/research how to setup grid from max to UE4

18. Research blockout of environment and reasons behind. Produce own blockout, develop it further. Gain feedback. Develop again.

19. Texturize

20. Get feedback

21. Research lighting in UE4/Unity

22. Apply lighting, get feedback. Evaluate.

So on and so on. There is plenty to take a look at!

I hope this helps you out some. I could of kept going all day!
  • lpanic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lpanic polycounter lvl 3
    Thank You all a lot!!

Seems so much easier now! :D

I am going to start cracking it out.

Thank you again! :)