Home General Discussion

Houdini 15 feature list

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
Welcome in this beautiful day.

Houdini 15 should be released today, but before it happens you can read the future list.

For 3dsmax guys, there is a Houdini Engine for Max available for testing, but it's only on Github, so I suppose it will require compilation.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, link is dead. It seems that SESI wasn't ready to show it yet :)

I will update it later, when they will officially announce it.
  • Robert.Magee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert.Magee polycounter lvl 6
    The page wasn't formatted correctly - it will be available soon along with lots of other info.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Damnit. Saw the link just before I had to head out to work, get to work and it's down. You're such a tease damnit.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
  • Robert.Magee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert.Magee polycounter lvl 6
    houdini_15_release_main.jpg

Houdini 15 is available for download - feature list, new tutorials, and masterclasses now available:

http://bit.ly/1hGThYp
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone explain what Houdini Engine is?
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Visceral wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what Houdini Engine is?

It lets you use Houdini digital assets in other programs. https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2739&Itemid=381
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkaria wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting books/DVDs on Houdini this fall.

Make sure to follow @nodeway.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Awesome ! 'been playing with it for some time now.
    What really sucks about Houdini is the "very difficult to learn" reputation that follows it,because when you understand how any node-based software (like Substance Designer) works it's really easy to understand the fundamentals imho :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub wrote: »
    Awesome ! 'been playing with it for some time now.
    What really sucks about Houdini is the "very difficult to learn" reputation that follows it,because when you understand how any node-based software (like Substance Designer) works it's really easy to understand the fundamentals imho :)

You know what, I started with Houdini around 2008, and yes, it's hard application. Prime example, DOPS and CHOPS. They are really hard.

Even with couple years under your belt in other apps, you are still looking at another 2-3 years of learning Houdini. Do not fool yourself that just because you can do wonders already in SOPS you know how Houdini works.
    We got many Softimage guys and they are with us almost 2 years now, and I clearly can see that they still miss many fundamental things. DOPS and CHOPS are completely outside of their knowledge. Knowing just nodes will not help there.

I'm preparing training about Digital Assets right now and I can bet that 60 percent of what I show in it, beside couple oldtimers like me, just don't know that are possible.
    Don't believe me? I can easily introduce you to Digital Asset error that to solve I had to start asset from scratch for years, because I didn't knew that it can be fixed otherwise. Not before I learned programing and WTF actually is happening inside of digital assets. And that was after 4 years in Houdini.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Don't get me wrong,Houdini is one of the hardest programs that an artist can learn,but from an artist perspective most of the stuff you might want to create is not complicated to make.
    Talking about stuff like debris following a curve with many parameters to fill them in a scene,procedural models like rocks and buildings,terrains,etc...

Basically,the stuff that an artist can create to have a more streamlined workflow,for one project or many projects.
    Of course,if you want to delve into it you will have a hard time figuring some stuff out unless you have a good understanding of maths and programming,but most of the time you don't need that as an artist.

I have seen the same hysteria around Substance Designer (Which is easier than Houdini) and it's complexity a year or two ago,but unless you want to use stuff like the FX Map and Pixel Processor,which in general you don't want to use,it's relatively simple to have what you want out of it,and this has been my experience with Houdini so far.

Allegorithmic has overcome this issue,but not SideFX and that's why you rarely see people using Houdini used in game forums.Not because it's hard to learn,but because people hear this so much that they don't even try to look at it.

Now with that said,I really can't wait to see what you come up with in your tutorials :)