Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Design - Feedback Appreciated!

vertex
Offline / Send Message
ralphosn vertex
Hello everyone! In this thread I'll post my advancement on character design. Here is my first one, based on my own anatomy. It's supposed to be a tribal savage, ready for a fight.

I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts and critiques. Thank you for your time!

old: http://img15.deviantart.net/7f0a/i/2015/288/8/2/tribal_character_by_ralphosn-d9d5wzl.jpg

tribal_character_by_ralphosn-d9d5wzl.jpg

Replies

• Operator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you'd first have to check up on the anatomical proportions - the forearms and calves look short-ish even if you take angles in account.
  • ralphosn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    Thanks, I was thinking the same. I tried to improve it a little bit. Next time I'll pay more attention to it.
  • invictus175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the design is a nice start, but really establish where your light is coming from. For example, on his left arm (the arm not carrying the weapon) it shows there's specular light bouncing off of the armor; however, there's a shadow on the exact same side, implying that the light is coming from the opposite direction. I'd recommend doing some simple light studies. I'm glad you did it in grayscale first because it will be easier for you to establish your tones.

Also, your description says he's ready for a fight, but his facial expression and pose would say otherwise. If he's ready for a fight, maybe he's in a fighting stance and has an aggressive look on his face, especially if he's a savage. You can tell a lot from a character by just seeing their pose, expression, and what they're wearing.

Hope this helps!
  • ralphosn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    Here is the line-art of the playing card character I'm working on.
    - edit: Saw some things I want to fix. I'll be back with an update
  • ralphosn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    So here is the final:
    - It's an experienced knight. He has been through some shit for his age. He looks troubled and tired because he is very young for the hard and many missions he's assigned to. Despite his bad shape, he always completes his missions so he gets to wear shiney veteran armor.
    - I didn't use the one-light-source-setup but some studio environment. While painting I kept a soft blue light on the bottom back left and a two normal lights on both sides in mind (medieval fantasy).

• RainbowRat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RainbowRat polycounter lvl 3
    No images attached? : P
  • ralphosn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    Sorry the linked changed. It should be fixed now.

• ralphosn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    I did this one two weeks ago. I wanted to make it smoother and more realistic so I wasn't too happy with it, but I'll post it for some feedback maybe.