Home General Discussion

Portfolio question

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
razz polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone,

I have a little question about what to make for a portfolio. I'm soon to graduate and aiming for modeling/texturing for video games. I have no preference when it comes to characters/environments/props or even styles, but so far I've only been making characters, which I already know means I've been shooting myself in the foot. I understand the whole thing of making a portfolio for the company you want to work for, but what if I don't get in there and the portfolio's unusable for most other companies?

What's my best bet here?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one can tell you what is best for you, you are the only one with the inside knowledge to do it properly.

Just take the thing you like the most, and pursue it with as much energy as you can.

More advice here
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    razz wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have a little question about what to make for a portfolio. I'm soon to graduate and aiming for modeling/texturing for video games. I have no preference when it comes to characters/environments/props or even styles, but so far I've only been making characters, which I already know means I've been shooting myself in the foot. I understand the whole thing of making a portfolio for the company you want to work for, but what if I don't get in there and the portfolio's unusable for most other companies?

What's my best bet here?

I find that highly unlikely. What kind of artstyle would you use that at least 5 other studios aren't doing something similar?

Especially with how homogenized the game industry has gotten, you'd have to target something very rare. Like Looney Tunes. :poly142:
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    just pick what you enjoy to make
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    razz wrote: »
    What's my best bet here?

Focus on version 1 of your portfolio for at least a year after you graduate. If you're stronger with characters now post your best pieces (with map samples, wireframes, etc.).

Get knowledgeable and more experienced people to give you feedback.

Companies usually will take weeks or months before they reply back to you on your application. You can use this "wait time" to either polish your current samples or work on your version 2 portfolio where you can introduce maybe a prop or two or one environment plus in-engine stills to prove you have some engine experience (take your pick: unreal, unity,...)
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Eric, I understand, and that's good advice. It's just that I think I've made a mistake of making realistic characters for my portfolio and then saying goodbye to all the potential environment or prop modeling positions when it came to looking for an internship. So it's more about if the studios enjoy seeing more specific portfolios (which is what I've been told recently) or something a bit more all over the place.

Jordan, haha, right, however, the options do get more limited. When applying for internships, I had an interview with King, and my portfolio's full of realistic stuff. They wanted more cartoony style and props and I had nothing to show there. Seems like an overkill to have all the different things and styles in the portfolio though.

Raptor, I do, unfortunately certain entry level positions are way harder to come by than others.

MagicSugar, good points. There was always a talk during studies about being specific with what you aim for or being more general, and I've heard arguments for both many times, so I was kind of jumping around. I see how it might be nice to have a plan like that.

Thank you for the answers everyone, I appreciate it!
    I think with the graduation coming I'm just a bit worried not having the right and good enough stuff for the job.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    @razz, yup definitely QUALITY over quantity for your primary portfolio.

You can have secondary portfolio site on Artstation or blogger where you can be "looser" as far as quality or content is concerned so you can use it for networking or learning purposes.

Of course take advantage of posting in forums for free art crits.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    MagicSugar, quality it is. I did clean up my portfolio website just for that reason. Onto making new portfolio things.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    I would say:

1. Focus on your strengths
    2. Work on your weaknesses
    3. Find your 'THING' (Environments, Props, Weapons, Characters)
    4. Expand on that 'THING' (look at other Artists portfolios within that area)
    5. Look at their projects and analyse their work in game if possible.
    6. Begin planning a project to beat/match them at their own game.
    7. Enjoy yourself.

Peace
    Beardy x
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    "I think you're falling into a mindset trap that is very common (and understandable) among people in your situation. You're thinking of this in terms of hedging your bets - making a portfolio that appeals to as many potential employers as possible to increase your chances of getting a job. While that logic sounds great at first blush, it's not really the way to go. "

THIS,

make what you like to do and what you are best at and make your portfolio geared towards the studio you want to work at. chances are the number one studio on your list is not the only company with that art style.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Bandit, nice list ;] #3 is what I should work on, but I think I have an idea now.

Dustinbrown, yeah, I do have a fear of that cause I did get burned before by not having the right stuff in my portfolio, so that's where it comes from. What you're saying makes total sense, though, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Raptor, on it!

I think I'm getting a clear idea where to go from here. Thanks so much, guys!