Home Adobe Substance

Problem with UVs

Alexis MR
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Alexis MR polycounter lvl 6
Hello, everyone. I've run into an issue I don't understand while using SD. I was trying to get a normal map from mesh using a low poly mesh and a high poly version, and I got some errors, so I tried testing with a cube.

I just created a cube in maya, with its defoult uvs, I separated the uvs and then created another cube with a bevel on the edges as its high poly version. I exported the fbxs in SD and followed the steps to get a normal map from mesh.

The resoults I have suggest that my uvs doesn't correspond to the actual faces of the cube, which is something I've never experimented. My friend tried the very same process, and its definetely my cube. Can it be something about the exporting/importing process? I'll appreciate any help, I don't have a clue about how to solve this, and I think my actual work was having the same problem, so I can't have accuarate normal baking.

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Make sure your high poly mesh is not too small compared to your low poly, also try increasing the Max Frontal and Rear distance as your rays might simply miss the surface of the high poly on those beveled edges.
  • Alexis MR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexis MR polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot, Jerc! I increased the Max Frontal and Rear Distance to 0.1, and that fixed the problem. In the series of tutorials I was following such a high number was never used, they usally used something like 0.01. That may have something to do with my scale, perhaps? Thank you again!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's a percentage of the global bounding box of the object. since your chamfers are pretty big compared to the cube, you need to set this to 0.1 (10% of the size of the object) indeed.