Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT Level

vertex
Offline / Send Message
ralphosn vertex
In this thread I will show my progress of making a small Unreal Tournament level.

cAfJoeApng

JzHhL2Ipng

H9Ydu1Dpng

Replies

• ralphosn
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    Going faster now.
    /

• ralphosn
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    PSB's are more or less covered or replaced by simple meshes.
    /
  • ralphosn
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    Feedback or tips are always welcome :)

• ralphosn
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    Here are  some shots of the finished level. I'd be happy to answer some questions or recieve feedback.

/
    /
    /
    /
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
    This looks great! All meshes i would assume are self-created? What packages have you used in your workflow, particularly for texturing? Any Quixel or Substance?

I have feedback and critique for the scene:

- I feel the ceiling and floor designs are too repetitive. Maybe adding some dirt decals (even subtle) could help to break up that repetitiveness. I understand the need for modularity, especially for and FPS map, but eventually the naked eye picks up on that repetitiveness! Adding even unique trim pieces can go a long way in doing this.

- Props! I feel the scene is a little empty at the moment. Maybe add some props in such as Crates, panel systems and so forth. Maybe even a PC room or something along those lines. However, utilise these pieces to add the gameplay of the scene. Make them so that they aren't just there for set dressing purposes, and the player can use it to their advantage (or disadvantage!) Of course, play testing would be needed to make sure no imbalancement occurs, if you decide to add some props.

• ralphosn
    Offline / Send Message
    ralphosn vertex
    Thanks for your nice and useful feedback!

Texturing is done by making material shaders in the Unreal Engine, using some basic grunge and cloud textures from photoshop. Modelling is done in 3ds Max while adding some smaller details like bolts and tubes with Xnormal in photoshop. It's quite messy sometimes, but it was my first level and I'll try to make better modular props now I understand the complete workflow.