Home Technical Talk

Help with rigging cube-like shoulders/wrists?

umphrey
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
umphrey polycounter lvl 3
Hello!

There's probably a simple solution to this, I think I'm making it more complicated than it really is. I have this character who is basically a cube and has cubes for arms. I can't get the shoulders nor wrists to deform correctly, there's always part of the mesh that collapses inward. They also don't look that great when rotating on the x-axis. I know since there isn't a lot of geometry there it's difficult to get it to look good, but I feel like there's gotta be some way to make it look decent.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I've been scouring the internet and looking at the Wiki pages on limb and shoulder topology but I still can't seem to come up with something that works.

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The simplest solution if you want to keep the 'cube look' would be to break the mesh up into pieces, like Minecraft does for the shoulders (this was actually really common back in the early PS1 days. FF7 models are a good well known example).

If you want actual deformation though, you're going to need it to twist all the way up to to elbow section for both the shoulder and the wrist. You can't just twist a thin strip of polys like what you have without it tapering inward like that, it's impossible.

These examples might also be useful, showing how to set up geometry for the elbow (even though you didn't mention if the arm will be bending there):

tumblr_inline_nrk3slk3JL1qb9x1g_500.gif
    89c45738f35f357d4adc29dee1dbf1c2.gif