Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barbed Wire Baseball Bat

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DriveJunky95 polycounter lvl 7
Hey polycount,

Been wanting to do this for some time now. Took the free time from this past week to work on it. C&C welcome! Hope you like!
6osNV7C.png

iexzVpH.png

B6rHryk.png

zCBCNAy.png

zeAuj6b.png

j7YLEuG.png

Replies

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I like the model, but I think your presentation needs work.

The first thing I notice is that your FOV is too strong for a presentation purpose. I suggest bumping it down to something like 60 or so to prevent any abnormal warping that's happening in your renders.

The second thing I would suggest is that you do a couple things in unreal to really push the presentation of your model. The first is to enable Mesh Distance Field Ambient Occlusion which can be found in edit project settings > rendering > Mesh Distance Fields. This will provide a really nice base lighting model (you can literally disable all your lighting and it will look pretty good). At this point I would add a skylight and make sure to add an hdri in the cubemap slot. It will make your reflections way more interesting (by default it uses the environment but if you don't have an environment to reflect it just uses the skybox which in itself is pretty boring). Then I would add a directional light at a relatively low intensity using temperature with the lighting. At that point it's just balancing values and hues to provide an interesting image to look at.

After doing those things I think your presentation will come up to par with your model.

As a side note I think your tape/cloth doesn't have the material/texture properties to really define it as something recognizable.
  • DriveJunky95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jack M! Those sound like some good tips! As for the handle I'll give it s'more love - maybe to a rougher/duller tape. Expect updates soon!
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I'm looking forward to it!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Solid asset.

I really like how you pushed the barbed wire off of the bat; however, parts of it look a bit floaty instead of tightly wrapped around the bat.

You could probably save a bit of geo at the base of the handle as well. It looks like there are a ton of loops densely packed.
  • DriveJunky95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after playing around with renders in UE4 I couldn't get the results I wanted. Ended up in marmoset and wow do I love this program!

@beefaroni - thanks for the floaty barb wire and geo suggestions, looks much nicer!

Will probably spend a little more time adding grunge to the cloth handle and wearing down the logo a bit but wanted to share it where it is :)
    CTYsmbT.jpg

g5w0Hgk.jpg