Home Technical Talk

Animation Transititioning

When preparing animations, such as, idle, walk, run for Unreal. What is the best method for having animations that transitions smoothly between the different actions? Using idle, walk, and run as an example - do you set the feet/leg's position in the same spot in all the animations for smooth blending or there is a different way to accomplish this?

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    generally they (attacks, idle breaks, the like) share the idle pose on 1st and last frame of the clip. Walk/Run start on the crossover pose, so when blending from the idle it looks like the character is taking a step. specifics varies a lot depending on the engine.
  • chacha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito wrote: »
    generally they (attacks, idle breaks, the like) share the idle pose on 1st and last frame of the clip. Walk/Run start on the crossover pose, so when blending from the idle it looks like the character is taking a step. specifics varies a lot depending on the engine.

Ok, great. If you don't mind me asking, is there a guide image illustrating this. I'm just starting out on this and could use every possible piece of help.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    What engine are you using? If Unity, they have example projects with included animations and state trees you can dissect. Unreal probably have similar sample asssets.

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/stealth-tutorial-4x-only
    the specifics are in Player Setup and Player Animator Controller
  • chacha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito wrote: »
    What engine are you using? If Unity, they have example projects with included animations and state trees you can dissect. Unreal probably have similar sample asssets.

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/stealth-tutorial-4x-only
    the specifics are in Player Setup and Player Animator Controller

I'm using Unreal. I guess I might need to take apart some of the starter animation content to see how each is set.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    yeah, half of the character's movement in game is engine-side work. You set up a graph/tree to specify which animation clip is playing during a given state of the character; and which and how each clip may transition/blend to another clip when the character's state changes.

for instance your idle state might transition to walk or run or jump or basic attack, but the jump state can only transition to idle or jump attack state, and not the basic attack state.