Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tea Time Improvement Thread

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
teatimejess polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone!

With some encouragement from friends I thought I'd start an improvement and study thread here. I'm focusing on stylized low poly work that's hand painted, but I'm also going to explore sculpting and PBR texturing next I think! I'm still trying to feel my way around 3D work and decide which direction to take with it, but a character is my next project after these. ^^

I've got an asset set I'm working on now, one of my first ones I've actually got through as far as I have and I've learned a lot about stylizing and texturing. They are WIPS right now but I laid them out to present for class so I'll upload them like that here a few at a time (there's 10 total.) I've already gotten some great feedback from my friends and class to add to them, but any more would be awesome, particularly advice with laying out UVs since I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. They're in the order I've made them. c: (very much all wips! so here's the first 3/10!) WIPS

tumblr_nvbmhnCRIF1ro3ut6o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nvbmhnCRIF1ro3ut6o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nvbmhnCRIF1ro3ut6o1_1280.jpg

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good, I like the pack, its art style reminds me of Journey, the use of color and hard gradient suits it well.
    One thing I will say is the pack could use a few more edge loops to help smooth out the silhouette, I wouldn't focus to much on the polycount if your just using them for beauty renders.
    Looking forward to more
  • teatimejess
    Offline / Send Message
    @CarlK3D; thank you! ^^ yeah I might throw them in unreal and make an environment with them, but I'll def try adding more loops too and see how that looks. :D

Here's the next set! 6/10 WIPS

tumblr_nvdfzgOpm51ro3ut6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nvdfzgOpm51ro3ut6o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nvdfzgOpm51ro3ut6o2_1280.jpg

The drinking horn I did as a speed challenge piece. It needs polish and adjustments (as does the knife, the spear is the only one just about done in this set) but took just under 4 hours.
  • teatimejess
    Offline / Send Message
    And the last 4 from this set! 10/10 WIPS
    I'll be going back and finishing my favorites up in a week or two (adding some gradients, fixing the light, adding more bounce colors/ao/contrast), right now I would like to do some zbrush studies so expect that next! ^^

tumblr_nvicalFrNH1ro3ut6o4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nvicalFrNH1ro3ut6o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nvicalFrNH1ro3ut6o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nvicalFrNH1ro3ut6o1_1280.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not really sure what's going on with the crate, are those white things supposed to be pieces of paper and scrolls coming out of the wood?

I'd be careful with making your work a little bit more obvious in the shape/color readability department so it doesn't take too long to figure out what an object is made of. Nice fish texture work!
  • teatimejess
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what's going on with the crate, are those white things supposed to be pieces of paper and scrolls coming out of the wood?

I'd be careful with making your work a little bit more obvious in the shape/color readability department so it doesn't take too long to figure out what an object is made of. Nice fish texture work!

Ah thank you! I can see what you mean with the crate, especially with the materials all being so similar it's hard to tell what you're looking at without being told. They're meant to be fur but I wasn't able to finish texturing them. I'll revisit that piece with some wips in here to improve on it, thank you very much for the feedback!