Home Marmoset

Universal Widget is killing me -.-

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
Is there an alternate way to manipulate my mesh? Like, you know... In Viewer? It works FINE there :/ I find the universal widget to be wonky as hell and it makes my carpal syndrome cry.

Love toolbag, hate the navigation. Why not giving people more options?

*An unhappy Toolbag 2 user*

Replies

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I don't think you can "manipulate" your mesh in Viewer, or at least not alter it...Move around in the viewport you mean? Or maybe the way you can view textures? I imagine you were not complaining about moving in the viewport, since that's not drastically different. If you want to see your textures, try putting them in the Albedo slot, set your Diffusion to Unlit and every other tab to None.

It's not as fast as switching channels in something like Substance Painter, but usually you'd take the complete thing to Marmoset...

If you have any suggestions, I think it'd be best if you posted them in the Feedback & Suggestions thread!
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I actually meant navigating the viewport. There's no widget in Viewer - whereas in Toolbag apparently you HAVE to use the damn thing. I hate it more than I can say, it's buggy as hell and makes my mesh jump all over the place.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I assume you mean the translation widget which is used to rotate/move/scale your mesh? I'll be the first to admit the translation widget is far from perfect, this is something we may look into improving in the future.

For now, it may help to understand how it works a little better, here are a few tips:
    1. You can grab the central square to quickly move objects around in screen space, I do this a lot.
    2. You can rotate objects in screen space by using the outermost circle, I do this a lot when placing lights and things like that.
    3. The rotation widgets work in sort of a screen space way, by that I mean to rotate your object, you rotate around the direction of the rotation axis, rather than dragging your mouse left/right or up/down. This system has advantages and disadvantages, the primary advantage is that you get finer control the further your cursor is away from the center point, the biggest problem with it is that at acute angles the rotate widget is really hard to use. It's a bit of a pain, but if it seems difficult to rotate your object, try rotating the viewport so that more of the axis circle UI is visible.
    4. The active axis is highlighted in yellow, it can be difficult to select the desired axis at points where multiple widget gui elements overlap, so make sure to pay attention to the yellow highlight.

I hope that helps, if you have any specific feedback on precisely what you don't like about hte tool, what seems buggy, or how you would prefer it to work I would be happy to hear it.

Now, if you mean navigating the viewport, you don't need to use the translation widget to do that. You can navigate around the viewport by holding down Alt+LMB to rotate, Alt+MMB to pan and Alt+RMB or scroll wheel to zoom. WASD will move you through the scene, and you can enable a FPS type camera rotation in the camera object properties by unchecking Orbit Style. Shift+RMB will rotate the Sky (and any child lights or objects/lights that you drag on it as a child object). Ctrl+F will frame your selected object and Ctrl+Shift+F will frame the entire scene.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I assume you mean the translation widget which is used to rotate/move/scale your mesh? I'll be the first to admit the translation widget is far from perfect, this is something we may look into improving in the future.

For now, it may help to understand how it works a little better, here are a few tips:
    1. You can grab the central square to quickly move objects around in screen space, I do this a lot.
    2. You can rotate objects in screen space by using the outermost circle, I do this a lot when placing lights and things like that.
    3. The rotation widgets work in sort of a screen space way, by that I mean to rotate your object, you rotate around the direction of the rotation axis, rather than dragging your mouse left/right or up/down. This system has advantages and disadvantages, the primary advantage is that you get finer control the further your cursor is away from the center point, the biggest problem with it is that at acute angles the rotate widget is really hard to use. It's a bit of a pain, but if it seems difficult to rotate your object, try rotating the viewport so that more of the axis circle UI is visible.
    4. The active axis is highlighted in yellow, it can be difficult to select the desired axis at points where multiple widget gui elements overlap, so make sure to pay attention to the yellow highlight.

I hope that helps, if you have any specific feedback on precisely what you don't like about hte tool, what seems buggy, or how you would prefer it to work I would be happy to hear it.

Now, if you mean navigating the viewport, you don't need to use the translation widget to do that. You can navigate around the viewport by holding down Alt+LMB to rotate, Alt+MMB to pan and Alt+RMB or scroll wheel to zoom. WASD will move you through the scene, and you can enable a FPS type camera rotation in the camera object properties by unchecking Orbit Style. Shift+RMB will rotate the Sky (and any child lights or objects/lights that you drag on it as a child object). Ctrl+F will frame your selected object and Ctrl+Shift+F will frame the entire scene.

Yeah thanks Joe, I meant the translation widget. Moving around your POV in the scene works fine and it's quite intuitive.

For more specific feedback, what happens to me quite a lot is I will try and rotate my mesh right after importing it without using the square midle as you mention, because it somehow throw me off more often that not. So I will click and drag an axis, X for instance, and start pulling carefully, and I can never figure out why that is but all of a sudden my mesh rotates something like 100 degrees or more, jump again 90 degrees or so, and so on. This is specifically the part I find very frustating, in fact I end up rotating by typing values more often than not in Toolbag these days. I've read the user manual but I can't figure if it's wrong or WAI, hence the "buggy" comment. I guess axis overlap as you mentioned...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the extra info, I think I've had that happen to me a few times as well but haven't been able to nail down the exact cause. I've added your notes to our suggestion list here.