Home General Discussion

Threads for laptop recommendations?

YellowYeti
vertex
Offline / Send Message
YellowYeti vertex
I know this is probably a frequently asked question here so i figured i'd just ask for those threads, or recommendations if that'd be easier, hell there is a thread right now on this board about it but what they are looking for is different than i want. I'm just looking for a computer that can handle 3dmodeling /rendering programs such as maya, zbrush, photoshop, etc. I'd prefer it to be a laptop because at the moment that's easier to carry around all over and better for energy consumption since i'm not on my own yet. Thanks for any replies!

Replies

• RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would aim for something with a new I7 processor, at least 8gb of ram and 2-4 gb of video ram. get a decent screen and the thing will last you a while.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose it can depend on what you want from it and other things such as budget? There's a lot out there that can handle what you stated so it's a wide question I guess :/

Yeah what he said ^^^
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    There should be some kind of template for people to use when asking for recommendations, but at the top of that list would be 1) budget 2) intention of use.

For instance you can get a barebones laptop for ~$500, and it will probably have the same CPU as more expensive laptops, but as you go up in price more things are available, like: FHD screen, touchscreen, better build quality, SSD, and past $7-800 you can get a GPU, i7, etc.
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Sorry i suppose i shouldve specified more, my budget i could probably do a max of around $800, i'd prefer no touchscreen but that wouldn't be a deal breaker if it only came in that. As for the rest i'm not entirely sure, like i said i would like to smoothly run programs on it and render a scene out in a reasonable amount of time without catching my computer on fire.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you looking more into modeling for game art? I generally find it easier to render everything in realtime in something like marmoset, unreal, or unity.
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    RaptorCWS wrote: »
    are you looking more into modeling for game art? I generally find it easier to render everything in realtime in something like marmoset, unreal, or unity.

Yea i am looking more into modeling, but i've yet to try unreal unity or marmoset to render it so i don't even know how to use those yet.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti wrote: »
    Yea i am looking more into modeling, but i've yet to try unreal unity or marmoset to render it so i don't even know how to use those yet.
    marmoset is pretty quick and easy to use, unreal and unity require a bit more work at first. but unless you are taking classes that require you to render in maya, I would avoid showing work in maya. It's fine for checking the silhouette or a quick W.I.P shot. but it falls short when looking for a portfolio quality render. the results are generally worse than what it would look like in a real time rendering engine.