Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy character WIP + 3D texturing (game) question!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Snakes polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone, firstly I'd just like to say that I've been browsing the site since joining and really love the amount and quality of feedback you guys give. Here are a couple things I think I should mention that being said:
* I've been using Zbrush for just over half a year, I've been using Maya for 2ish years though.
* This is also my first public request for art feedback ever, on any site. So I'm apologising in advance if my screenshots aren't the most helpful but I am more than happy to post requests of different types if it'll help you guys address my work better.
* This is my first full male model and also my first character head that I've spent more than one art session working on. (Previous heads were simply sculpts to practice constantly)
* Planned to take this character through the whole pipeline I'm aware of (first attempt at this too). >Sculpt, retopo, texture, pose, real-time render.
* Goal was to create a realistic character as I'd like to work at a next-gen game studio as a character artist one day.

3D TEXTURING RELATED QUESTION (IMPORTANT):
My question is what do you guys find the most commonly used 3D texturing applications for next-gen/realistic game characters (e.g. Studios like: Naughty Dog, Eidos Montreal/Square Enix. Games like: Rise of The Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4, MGSV: The Phantom Pain)? I've barely any knowledge in this field and I'm super unsure where to go since there seem to be a lot of application options. I know that Mari is one of the leading texturing applications for VFX, though quite sure it isn't used in games. Would really really appreciate some guidance here!
Here are the top game texturing applications I'm aware of:
- Quixel Suite
- 3D-Coat
- Substance Painter
- Zbrush's Polypaint(?)
- Mudbox(?)
- Mari(?)

Finally, heres my character. ALL feedback welcome, blunt feedback even more welcome.
After showing a very skilled character artist friend my WIP pics they've told me that once I've finished this character I need to do specific focused studies of body, i.e. mouths, noses, ears etc. As "the proportions are fine but individual features aren't". What do you guys think? Do you agree? do you suggest something similar or completely different? :P
*all skin pores are placeholder!*

GahPUwd.png

Aph5NZp.png

WNkF5kA.png

asrmTrb.png

Once again, thank you guys so much for any feedback you give me, especially in regards to the 3D game texturing question. Cheers!

Rob Smith,
Snakes

Replies

• josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    The eyes are extremely muddy. But, I have a feeling it's a problem of technique.

Here's a video that demonstrates a technique to get good forms when working the eye region:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA4QziHEk8E[/ame]

Also, it's not just the eyes themselves that are a problem, but the underlying skeletal features around the eyes.

I think you're hitting a problem that many artists face in the beginning. You need to focus less on all the little wrinkles and details, and just focus on the forms. Those little details really aren't that hard, but they can suck up a lot of time that should be spent practicing the broader strokes of form and anatomy. Overall, not bad.

Just create better forms for the orbital rim of the eye, and the zygomatic bone under the eye. and maybe watch that tutorial so you can create better forms for the eyelids.
  • Snakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snakes polycounter lvl 5
    @ josh.0
    Thank you so much for the feedback! Really helpful stuff, any suggestions for actually creating better forms around the zygomatic bone etc? Would appreciate some guidance there if you can!
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    You can do a Google image search for "head planes" or "asaro head planes" and find all sorts of good photo references.

two quick little blog posts that talk about head planes:
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2014/07/plane-heads.html
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2009/03/plane-heads.html

And, videos by Ryan Kingslien are always good:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaJ1iJofkMo[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdGjdlSY8Ko[/ame]
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VanLogan polycounter lvl 6
    Snakes what are you using for reference? Often when I see people struggling to sculpt a really solid head it is because they either do not have good reference or are using it incorrectly.
  • Snakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snakes polycounter lvl 5
    @ VanLogan
    Heres my ref, if possible are you guys able to address 3D texturing application question too? Hate to bug you for responses but it doesn't seem like I'm getting many. I think general feedback is most appreciated like What Josh said (e.g. things to watch out for) - anything I can apply to my future studies to help me get better overall. I'm not sure that crit specific to the reference will help as much in that way as my inability to translate the reference into 3D is heavily based on the fact that like I said, its my first face that I've spent more than a couple hours on. That being said of course, any crit is still welcome. Happy to take whatever you guys can give me :P Just food for thought.

OeVwijm.jpg
  • TophT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TophT polycounter lvl 10
    I'd concentrate on removing the expression from his face. If you sculpt him with a pouty face you'll have a hard time getting other expressions out of him once he is rigged and animated. I know it can be hard to do with a celebrity like Charlie that does a lot of pouty face, but it is rather important.
    I agree with the other as well in terms of the sculpt, he need to be brought down to a lower subdivision and the base shapes need to be more accurate before you start in with the small features like pores and the like. If you don't have a solid base you are just layering details on top of mistakes and that won't yield accuracy.
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VanLogan polycounter lvl 6
    Things that can help with reference and working from it, especially for a face:

1.Look for photos with strong directional lighting(I see most of the photos you are using have flat frontal lighting)

2.Light your model the same as your reference. Try to get the shadows to be the same; refine the shadow transitions to avoid lumpy forms.

3. Site up your model. Put your model next to your reference at the same size, look back and forth between the two making mental notes of what does not match up then make those corrections and repeat. Every mark you make on you sculpture should be an informed decision from your reference.

Regarding your texturing question

- Quixel Suite
    - 3D-Coat
    - Substance Painter

All of these are great, 3D coat is better for hand painted styles. Substance Painter might be a little better for 3d painting than quixel, but 2.0 is coming out so that might change.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You're going to probably want Photoshop at a base level for texturing.

Quixel Suite is good for getting base maps done quickly.

Substance Painter is good for more painterly texturing, but does not really "paint" that well (brush pressure size gradient is lacking)

3D-coat is awesome for retopo, UV mapping, and painterly textures as I've used it.
  • Snakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snakes polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you guys so much for the feedback!

@ TophT
    Thanks for the critique, really valid points. Going to go back over a lot of it!

@ VanLogan
    Really great points, especially the lighting. Thank you tons for the texturing related feedback! I'll look into substance Painter then since you and Brain recommend it!

@ Brian "Panda" Choi
    Thank you! when you say "painterly texturing" are you referring to hand painted textures? As in just the diffuse?