Home Contests & Challenges Archives Killing Floor 2 - Guns 'n Gear - CONTEST HAS ENDED

[KF2] - Item - Steampunk Monocle

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Jinn polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone, we are a team of two newbies back from a year long break :) I'm Jinn, a traditional artist who is learning texturing and high poly sculpting, and I team up with Mato, who is a beginner 3D modeller and focuses on low poly modeling. Nice to meet you!

Our main goal in this contest is just to learn to make items for Killing Floor 2. We are planning to make a simple steampunk themed "monocle" or "a goggle".

Reference Sheet:

referencesheet1-pieni.jpg

1st Day low poly by Mato (dont mind the horrible colors) :)

alku-pieni.jpg

Replies

• Jinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jinn polycounter lvl 7
    Update ^__^

Improvements to topology and Mato started UV-mapping. Currently at 1889 tris.

WIP2.jpg

What do you guys think? Any tips for newbs, or is this hopeless? :D
  • Jinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jinn polycounter lvl 7
    After using Photoshop for years and trying to paint textures with it, Substance painter feels like cheating. I decided to try out "sketching" out the look we might be going for. This is for the old model and old uv maps so nothing is final. I haven't chosen the final colors yet either.

WIP3.jpg

Basically it is just a quick sketch about what kind of material is going to be where. :)
  • Mato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I'm Mato the newb 3D modeller! :)

Yesterday I managed to finish UV-maps for the model (yay!). Today I tested the model (without textures) in the Killing Floor 2 SDK. Everything didn't go without hickups but in the end I got everything working nicely. In-game pictures coming later.

PolycountKuva_Mato2.jpg
    EDIT: Oops, I just noticed I have to space them out a bit more.
  • Mato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was exited to see something I made in-game so I couldn't wait to post a pic. :)
    The model is without textures exept the default normal map which makes the shadowed lines. x)

Ekat_InGameTestit_Ilmantextuureja.jpg