Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Painting a day..well, keeps something away

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daew polycounter lvl 9
So I think I am cluttering up the sketch thread. Sooo ill just dump my shenanigans here.

The goal of this is just to paint regularly for at least 30mins to an hour everyday (not going too strict) So, dont expect much progress haha.

sketchingpart4.jpg

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Awesome! looks great this far, so If we get something like this every day thats pretty sweet.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Nice sketch man!

It's always great and inspiring to see a polycounter go into rigorous art mode.
    go Daew go!
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Aha thanks lotet, though sorry I might have been misleasding, this is so far a wip, so im not churning out a new painting everyday :p, sorry im not amazing haha.

Thanks wizo.

So just to clarify this isn't a sketch thread its more a thread where I'm at least painting daily even if its not for very long. I might do studies, sketches or carry on working on a painting. I just didnt want to clog the sketch thread with the same image that had only minimal changes.

Kept painting but felt that there was something funamentally wrong so, (still looks terrible..)

sketchingpart6.JPG
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looking cool - a bit Marc Brunet-esque in a way !

As for the one thing that might be off : the drapery overhangs and the light hitting the work bench seem to indicate that both the customers and the shopkeeper are standing within the same shaded area, yet the shopkeeper is lit as if light was hitting it directly and from a different location. That might be it !
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks pior.
    The lighting is definitely off, thanks for pointing it out. I think my problem is that I have a hard time controlling colour and value simultaneously And if I paint my values first its super hard to get colour in there.

I believe the answer is probably more study and thumbnailing because the current way im doing thhings is quite blind...and yet I keep refining sketches anyway haha...

not much done today, not happy with composition and I guess as a consequence of refining sketches, I have to be willing to rework everything :B.

with that said, this painting everyday is quite enjoyable.

sketchingpart5.JPG

sketchingpart7.jpg

and again sorry you wont see a lot of progress here! :P.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Boredom, it probably keeps boredom away. Mine and yours :) Keep up the good work!
  • NJValente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome and thanks for sharing! I love the work you have been doing and thinks its a great practice to make the effort everyday. Thanks for the inspiration!!
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    ironbelly and NJValente thanks

bloop at least I did something I guess

sketchingyada.jpg
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Ah I keep adding mroe people x_x

knightar1.jpg
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    At some point im going to say that this was a failure and move on lol. but not at that point yet.

knightar2.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Never give up, never surrender!
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    haha yeh!

but decided to put a pause on the painting. I don't feel like i'm learning anything from it and having a hard time making any progress with it because of my lack of knowledge. I need to go back to basics and also I need to reread that androidarts tut.

These are just some of my notes I have no idea if they are right. Probably wont be able to read it anyway looking at the resolution

studyinghue.jpg

But what Ive learnt is that if you want to change colour you should consider desaturating it a bit. Otherwise the two colours will be too strong against each other making it very jarring. Also adding RGB together gives white in real life so I think that desaturating it a bit helps with integrating the colours.

And colour perception, something about opposite colours, still trying to figure it out.

Still trying to figure out how to use the hue slider so that i dont have to use the rgb ones.

edit: Something i've always had trouble with was trying to paint something that is normally associated with a colour (an apple is red, etc) and fitting it into a scene that had different colours.

Today I was standing on my driveway thinking about this, and it kind of makes sense to use a limited palette. You are hardly ever going to get a situation where the source of light is all types of different colours.

For example the sky gives a blue tint to everything on a sunny midday. So a green tree would not be flat out green because the blue and green are adding together. And if we remember, when colours add they become less saturated.
    Therefore it depends on the strength of the tint. In the Lords of the rings example the blue tint is very strong which is why gandalfs skin isnt even in the pink hue range. In fact it is all in the blue range, so how would I make it pink. If I wanted to create a pink hue in a blue tinted scene I would have the blue desaturated leaning towards the red. What not to do is pick pink and go down the hue slider because you are picking a colour that would not occur in a heavily blue tinted scene.

And thats why I keep hearing that in digital you have too many colours to choose from, the freedom helps make wrong choices. Sorry if none of this makes sense or isnt even right :P.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    bloop study, totally butchered the likeness but was more focused with this colour thing. Also she is too pinku

What I learnt from this, be very subtle with your values on skin

wuh.JPG
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    hmm more like painting every other day, another study

wuhtuh.jpg
  • spritesheet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The big monster looks awesome! What is it supposed to be holding? An empty armor or some poor victim?

The knight in the middle needs some work.
  • KiwiHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KiwiHead vertex
    The knights one rocks man. Is the big guy buying a new weapon for his son? :D
    Reminds me of FFXII for some reason. Inspiring stuff