Home General Discussion

Unity - 47% of Developers use Unity

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Untiy - 47% of Developers use Unity

What do you think to those statistics?

Source: - Vision Mobile, Developer Economics, State of the Developer Nation Q3, 2014

f9f6f579e076e809021c43e3f8bfc530.png

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm curious as to what the numbers were before and after UE announced they were free - are there any stats of this around?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it hard to believe that more developers are using Adobe Air than the Unreal Engine ... this poll feels flawed.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that more developers are using Adobe Air than the Unreal Engine ... this poll feels flawed.

On mobile ? seems plausible to me ... unreal on mobile is pretty heavy AFAIK
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I think the statistics look mainly the way they do because of the huge mobile market.
    Let's be honest, Unity is great for mobile games (and way better than Unreal in this area), because it's so flexible.
    But if it would be "AAA-Developers using Unity" this chart would look a lot different.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I am personally very doubtful about this poll. What would be interesting is how many of these are mobile/gambling games and how many are games that you would actually see on something such as Steam or any of the console stores. Then we could have two graphs with different conclusions applied to them.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    "Based on a survey of 10,000+ app developers"

It's obviously skewed, and this is why. People who develop generic apps lean towards generic solutions; for mobile games that means custom code and unity. It also massively depends where these app developers are being surveyed and how many of them were actually developing games (heck, it could be a sample of less than 100).

Developers working on hardcore mobile titles (like those that might use Unreal) are probably not hanging around whereever they survey app developers.

I'd expect custom solutions to be more popular than Unity, and those stats actually state that it is, but it looks like it has been deliberately biased by breaking 'native code' and 'custom solution' into two categories when they're usually effectively the same thing...
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Can we all just quit with the logic and common sense please, and mindlessly buy into the sales pitch here? Just for a minute?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    "Based on a survey of 10,000+ app developers"

It's obviously skewed, and this is why. People who develop generic apps lean towards generic solutions; for mobile games that means custom code and unity. It also massively depends where these app developers are being surveyed and how many of them were actually developing games (heck, it could be a sample of less than 100).

Developers working on hardcore mobile titles (like those that might use Unreal) are probably not hanging around whereever they survey app developers.

I'd expect custom solutions to be more popular than Unity, and those stats actually state that it is, but it looks like it has been deliberately biased by breaking 'native code' and 'custom solution' into two categories when they're usually effectively the same thing...
    Ha, you're right. Not only did they split custom development for no reason, but it is mobile only developers.
    That poll is uselessly biased.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their 'primary' category also only goes to 84% - I'd be curious to know what they left out, because 16% of developers is a lot.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Well it does say for mobile platforms so its plausible
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I can believe 47% of mobile app game devs use unity.

it would be more interesting to know what percentage of developers who released top 20 selling console or pc games used unity in the past 3 years? its probably half that percentage.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I think as the next couple years come up, that "AAA Dev on Unity" number will grow. I've been seeing some incredibly good looking games that I thought were Unreal based, actually Unity based.

Either way, there hasn't been a better time to get into game dev then now, so many great tools available!

Now stop reading and make something!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think as the next couple years come up, that "AAA Dev on Unity" number will grow. I've been seeing some incredibly good looking games that I thought were Unreal based, actually Unity based.

Either way, there hasn't been a better time to get into game dev then now, so many great tools available!

Now stop reading and make something!
    Though there's never been a worse time to get into it if you actually want to profit off of your work.
    Excluding, you know... More than maybe 10 or 15 years back.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm happy using Unity or Unreal or any other modern engine.

Plus tools like Blender, Artrage, Krita, TexturePacker, XNormal, Sketchbook...the list goes on and on. So many fantastic tools for free or dirt cheap.

:thumbup:
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    "hough there's never been a worse time to get into it if you actually want to profit off of your work.
    Excluding, you know... More than maybe 10 or 15 years back."

Yeah..awful..Clash of Clans is only pulling in a daily revenue of $1,412,270...and that's just the iphone, and that's just US..there is plenty of profit to be had..

the biggest problem seems to be the saturation, because every wanna be game dev can pump out horrible games..and the quality games get lost in the shit tornado.

Here's some numbers on daily revenue from the top grossing iphone games:

https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/

It shouldnt be a suprise that devs use Unity more than Unreal in this instance, they've been in this market longer
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    "hough there's never been a worse time to get into it if you actually want to profit off of your work.

Yeah..awful..Clash of Clans is only pulling in a daily revenue of $1,412,270...and that's just the iphone, and that's just US..there is plenty of profit to be had..

the biggest problem seems to be the saturation, because every wanna be game dev can pump out horrible games..and the quality games get lost in the shit tornado.

It shouldnt be a suprise that devs use Unity more than Unreal in this instance, they've been in this market longer
    That's completely irrelevant. That is exactly the same as saying that the lottery is profitable to participate in because X became a millionaire off of it.
    Not to mention, the majority of the games you listed are AAA titles with massive marketing.
  • Goldchain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldchain null

I've been wondering for a while if the situation will get better in coming years or not. I don't see the barrier of entry growing any time soon, so I guess it comes down to whether publishers like Steam improve their system so good games get more attention or continue letting them be lost in the shitnado.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    That's completely irrelevant. That is exactly the same as saying that the lottery is profitable to participate in because X became a millionaire off of it.
    Not to mention, the majority of the games you listed are AAA titles with massive marketing.

You: You can't make money from Mobile games!

Me: Here's some people making money!

You: That's completely irrelavant

174787-4364-4v34z-a.jpg
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You: You can't make money from Mobile games!

Me: Here's some people making money!

You: That's completely irrelavant

174787-4364-4v34z-a.jpg
    You're completely ignoring the point. Listing off a handful of literally THE most successful apps has no bearing at all on how effectively most people can find profit in it.
    Would you tell someone there's good money to be made developing a brand-new operating system, just because Bill Gates and Steve Jobs got rich off of it? It's insane.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something like 500 games are released onto the app store every week now; the vast majority of them barely make a few dollars.

Games like Clash of Clans had a lot of money invested into them, their staff and their infrastructure - they were also not new players (Clash of Clans was something like their fifth game, which is unusual; companies like Rovio produced loads before hitting it big). New startups rarely hit it big in mobile, you often have to have the cash at bank to survive.

You may have also noticed a trend where a lot of the super-successful mobile studios only really have one game. Even with millions of dollars at their disposal, they still fail to replicate their own success - that in itself should tell you something about the mobile market.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    ambershee wrote: »
    Something like 500 games are released onto the app store every week now; the vast majority of them barely make a few dollars.

Games like Clash of Clans had a lot of money invested into them, their staff and their infrastructure - they were also not new players (Clash of Clans was something like their fifth game, which is unusual; companies like Rovio produced loads before hitting it big). New startups rarely hit it big in mobile, you often have to have the cash at bank to survive.

You may have also noticed a trend where a lot of the super-successful mobile studios only really have one game. Even with millions of dollars at their disposal, they still fail to replicate their own success - that in itself should tell you something about the mobile market.
    Isn't that the case for basically every platform in the games industry? There are tons of new games added to Steam every month. I would be surprised if more than a handful of those devs were actually making a realistic income off their work. The same could be said of browser based games too. It seems like you either need a large amount of money to invest into marketing or you need to win the lottery if you want to make any profits at all, regardless of the platform or type of game you are developing.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not all that surprised by those numbers because Unity uses C#, which is Microsoft's answer to Java, which is the most popular programming language at an enterprise level right now according to the TIOBE index.

It's famously easy for devs to switch between the two and if you're an indie shop that needs to pick its battles, it becomes a no brainer. It also means you have a potentially larger talent pool to draw from.

Blueprints are awesome, but they don't do everything, there's not a lot of documentation on them, they're proprietary to UE4 and can become a nightmare to maintain.

Unity's still doing the best job at balancing power and accessibility.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The number seems about right from a freelance perspective. It's been about a 50/50 split on Unity & Unreal projects for me.
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
    I asked my friends (game developers) about game engines and i got result: 0% of Developers use Unity :)

PS. By the way according to online poll - 100% of people use internet :D
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    what's up with the AAA elitism here? Good art is good art and good games are good games. Does it matter if it's AAA or mobile? Might as well make a graph "awesome games made with game engine X vs. shitty games made with game engine X".
  • vykeymasmaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys how to bake shadow for a endless racing game in unity or other 3d software
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Kwramm wrote: »
    what's up with the AAA elitism here? Good art is good art and good games are good games. Does it matter if it's AAA or mobile? Might as well make a graph "awesome games made with game engine X vs. shitty games made with game engine X".

I dont think this reaction is due to elitism, its just a reaction to sly marketing, If the article read "the unity game engine is far more popular amongst mobile app developers than any other game development software" then I doubt anyone would be offended.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't call it elitism either - Unity is almost certainly one of the most common choices of engine for mobile games - but people will call out bad data when it's presented to them.

In this case it really is bad; it almost feels like it's deliberately presenting Unity as a wider used choice than it really is for the following reasons:

1) The survey is of 'App Developers' and not 'Game Developers'. We also do not know where this data was collected, but we presume the survey was largely advertised within app development communities.
    2) The chart claims '47% of game developers', but as well all know there's more out there in terms of game developers than just mobile games. This is likely a problem of context rather than the chart itself, so I'll mention it but let it slide.
    3) We don't know the sample size for this chart, it could be too small for the data to be meaningful. It could be less than 100 people.
    4) The chart doesn't show 16% of responses, so a sixth of the data is missing entirely.
    5) For some reason 'Native Code' and 'Custom Solution' have been split into two distinct categories when they are largely the same thing, making them appear more insignificant than they are.
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Isn't that the case for basically every platform in the games industry? There are tons of new games added to Steam every month.

There are about 6000 games on Steam total. As it turns out, I got my numbers wrong, it's 500 games on iOs per day, not per week; that difference is astronomical when you compare it to Steam's 60 per week / 9 per day.

There are a lot of games releasing on Steam each day, and many of them don't fare well. I think we need to be honest about those games and why they fail - it is usually because they are not that great, and / or they are poorly presented or marketed. On iOS you can have a great game, but it's entirely possible nobody will ever even see it, because it's utterly buried in a torrent of shit from the moment it goes live.

As it happens, the data this chart is from also claims that 57% of mobile games failed to make any real money.