Home Marmoset

Transparent Black Texture

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Littlenorwegians polycounter lvl 8
Hello.

I'm having some odd problems. Because Marmoset makes black = transparent I am having a hard time making a slightly transparent black texture.

Lowjoel.PNG
Essentially just want a 50% transparent gradient black shadow on the ground.
But I cannot find (Or maybe I don't understand) the right way of doing this.

Thanks.

Replies

• Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    This is the best I could get it straight from the viewport. Dithering method is noisy. However, the larger the image is rendered out, the finer the noise will be.
    2015-09-22_14-34-13.png
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    You can change the transparency mode to dither. This looks quite grainy in realtime but it's better when you render out an image.

edit: Drew beat me to it lol
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Intended.png
    Thanks, guys. I know I might be in a minority, since this is like oldschool retro low poly and all. But the dithering effect doesn't really look good or authentic for the intended effect.

I am rendering up a large amount of images (for GIF purposes) so having a transparent image is the desired solution.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently, traditional alpha blending is not supported, so the dithered method is going to be your best bet. As others have suggested, rendering at a higher resolution (like 3840x2160) and then sizing down tends to reduce the noise quite a bit.

Alternatively, you could try matching the background color of the floor plane to the sky background color, as long as you turn off lighting (set diffusion to unlit and set specular and fresnel to 0) that will probably work without transparency.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, EarthQuake. Again, I might be the minority on this matter, but it'd be cool to have traditional alpha blending in there.

I'll attempt some kinda work around for now. Love the software for hi and low alike. :)