Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dino Wrangler... guy... dude bro, sculpt.

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
Character project I'm doing on the side.

Updated, colored render, applied various feedback will post an updated sculpt render later, getting late.
dustin-gagner-ark-render01.jpg?1443168156

dustin-gagner-ark-jones.jpg

Replies

• noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    Between your Icon, and this sculpt I would dare say you have something for Chris Pratt =D But this is looking awesome so far! Although I think the shirt looks a bit lifeless, the wrinkles don't quite sell it for me. It almost looks like it was blown up like a baloon, especially around the neck area. But again awesome job, can't wait to see this finished =]
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Good work. Nice detail on the jacket. Are the pockets InsertMeshes?

I would make his calves a bit thinner. Right now, compared to his thighs, they look a bit thick. Depending on the material of his pants (if it's suppposed to be denim), you might also need to focus more on bigger shapes for the folds to not make it look to thin.

Let us see some more of his face next time. :D
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good!

I agree about the calves, they are as thick as the thighs right now. About the clothes, they are too symmetrical at the moment. Even if the outfit is symmetrical, it could have some "accidents". One side of the trousers legs slightly caught in the shoe, the shirt slightly going out of the belt on one side, the shirt opening asymmetrically, a pocket of the jacket a bit more flat than the other...
    Here's a pic of Nathan Drake to illustrate my point, look especially at the tshirt.

u4-nathan-drake.jpg
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys lots of good feedback. Ill apply what I can and repost. The breaks between areas of clothing are clean because hes going into a game that uses an armor system separated at waist ankle wrist and head. Had to sculpt it in a way where if he was only wearing pants it would still look ok. Although i may still be able to break up the symmetry more through fraying or damage etc. I agree the calves could be thinner. Pants are supposed to be tight fitting jeans slightly stretchy denim.
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work. Nice detail on the jacket. Are the pockets InsertMeshes?

I would make his calves a bit thinner. Right now, compared to his thighs, they look a bit thick. Depending on the material of his pants (if it's suppposed to be denim), you might also need to focus more on bigger shapes for the folds to not make it look to thin.

Let us see some more of his face next time. :D

The pockets on the jacket are separate geometry, seams are mostly separate geo the pockets on the pants are also separate geo.

On the back pants pockets for instance I used a combination of masking + extract with 0 thickness, 1 sided. Then I use polish under deformation to shrink it to the mask shape I laid out. Then Zremesh (with half checked to reduce polycount) to a suitable low poly followed by a 1 loop panel looping (under the edge loops rollout) to give it thickness back. Then crease, subdivide and sculpt.

Jacket pockets low polys were built in max.
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence wrote: »
    Between your Icon, and this sculpt I would dare say you have something for Chris Pratt =D But this is looking awesome so far! Although I think the shirt looks a bit lifeless, the wrinkles don't quite sell it for me. It almost looks like it was blown up like a baloon, especially around the neck area. But again awesome job, can't wait to see this finished =]

I do love Starlord :) but I work on Marvel games at work so got a soft spot for him. Also good catch Jurassic World was the main reference on this.
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated post colored render