Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ron Perlman/Hellboy Bust Sculpture

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
So this is a crazy project iv'e had in the back of my head for a while. Doing a ZBrush Bust sculpture, that is literally split down the middle half Ron Perlman and half Hellboy. I've been wanting to do a project that really pushes me to focus on anatomy (something that has always been a bit of a challenge for me.)

Ron_Perlman_February_2015.jpg
ron-perlman_reuters_1200.jpg
Ron+Perlman+Backstage+AFI+Lifetime+Achievement+oafhEiCl-Tll.jpg
tumblr_mgsiaoelLX1rtjmi5o1_1280.jpg

I've gathered a HUGE amount of reference images, these are just a few.

On the left half of the sculpture that is Ron Perlman I am aiming for realistic detail, on the right half I'm going to go for a stylized Hellboy (much like the above statue). For example on the realistic half i'm going to use fibermesh for the hair and the right stylized half the hair will be sculpted mesh.

So this project has several challenges for me so I welcome any and all feedback and critique, I am working on it in my spare time among many other open projects and a full-time design job so updates may come slowly :)

Replies

• BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i'm about 20 mins in trying to block out the major shapes and muscles. Like I said anatomy is something that has always been a challenge for me so any guidance is welcome. I haven't done anything to the head and I have left some of the muscles purposely exaggerated. I am cutting off the sculpt at the elbows for the arms and right above the belly button on the torso.

WIP_1_zpsio2lbk49.png
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Too quick on the sub divisions I made a gif of one of my guys, idk how helpful it will be but you can see the stages of details per, sub division.

Use a gif editor to see frame by frame for a little more help.
    You can also check youtube for something along the lines of "subdivision modeling in zbrush".

Here is the gif in question:
    http://i.imgur.com/ynmKVcC.gif
    Basically you use up all your space and stick in as much details as possible at the organic level, then when you want you add in your other bits.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    As said above, try to compare it with a basic paper drawing, you rough out the big shapes with a pencil, before detailing it some more, then when the basic shape is set, you start using a marker or pen.

Sculpting in zbrush works kinda the same way, start low, get your complete shape set up, and move up a subdivide, refine the shapes some more and the whole thing should together nicely
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the advice, I think I may have pushed the dynamesh too much from with I was getting the very basic bust shape to blocking in. I'll adjust it back down to around 32 and start blocking from there.
    Here is the gif in question:
    http://i.imgur.com/ynmKVcC.gif

this is very helpful thanks!