Home Technical Talk

Best way to bake out hipoly color information using Maya 2016.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
So I am making a complicated technical mess of a car engine. I know we maya users got Transfer maps, but after 10 minutes and it only going to 1% for a 512 texture I don't have the time to see how long it will take to actually finish. Also I tried exporting to Xnormal using the xnormal file. Turning off *ignore vertex color in the hipoly model and hitting the bake hipoly's vertex colors option. Still only get white.

Is there a way to transfer the material blinns to the vertex of my hipoly model? Am I missing a step? What the hell do you guys do

Replies

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    First,change the sampling quality to 4x4 or even 2x2.Change your resolution to 2048*2048,and that's pretty much it for me.

Try to make the cage (or envelope) match the High Poly surface,or else you will have some weird artifacts.

If you have Substance Designer or Painter just use those bakers for color maps,they're much better,faster and more intuitive than Maya's baking workflow.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Fansub wrote: »
    First,change the sampling quality to 4x4 or even 2x2.Change your resolution to 2048*2048,and that's pretty much it for me.

Try to make the cage (or envelope) match the High Poly surface,or else you will have some weird artifacts.

If you have Substance Designer or Painter just use those bakers for color maps,they're much better,faster and more intuitive than Maya's baking workflow.

For substance what do you export your file as?
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    For substance what do you export your file as?

Anything you want : PNG,JPG,TGA,BMP,PSD,etc....

Substance Designer and Painter both have awesome bakers.You don't need to explode complex 3D models,just use naming conventions to separate them and you're done.

I don't always use Designer for texturing,but it's baking tools are ace.

Also,you even have a plugin that let's you bake right inside Maya but using Substance Designer's baking tools.It's required to have Designer installed on your HDD,tho.