Home General Discussion

New PC build

art73
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
art73 polycounter lvl 5
Hi All

I`m looking at upgrading my i7 2600k to a new skylake setup. Just wondered what opinions people had on what i`ve selected.
I did look at the haswell range ie 4790k but the difference in price was minimal to be honest. £100/$150us and for that I get skylake and ddr4 ram.

Main uses are Maya, Unreal, Unity , Photoshop and some gaming aswell.
Thanks

Link to equipment list is below,
Price is £1100/$1700us

Replies

• frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Seems like you just want to get yourself a new pc:)

4790k or 6700k are about 30% faster than 2600k,
    I have a Haswell Refresh Xeon that's somewhere in the middle, but if I had a 2600k I'd just buy more ram, a 980Ti and a good SSD.spend the rest on hookers
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Why did you pick ECC server ram? Also there's no prices so it's hard to tell if you are getting a decent price on each part.
  • art73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art73 polycounter lvl 5
    frmdbl wrote: »
    Seems like you just want to get yourself a new pc:)

4790k or 6700k are about 30% faster than 2600k,
    I have a Haswell Refresh Xeon that's somewhere in the middle, but if I had a 2600k I'd just buy more ram, a 980Ti and a good SSD.spend the rest on hookers

Problem is i`m moving country so i`m selling my PC locally and will need to buy new again. So thought i`d go for whats currently an up to date decent spec.
  • art73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art73 polycounter lvl 5
    ZacD wrote: »
    Why did you pick ECC server ram? Also there's no prices so it's hard to tell if you are getting a decent price on each part.

You didnt read my original post did you ;-)

they dont sell ballistix so will have to get it from amazon. Added prices in UKPounds and updated original post.
    Thanks
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    @art73

I see, that's a totally different perspective.
    I think you have a reasonable rig there, and in this case Skylake and DDR4 are a sound investment.

The power supply will be more than enough,
    with a lot of leeway if you decide to go for a graphics card with higher power consumption.
  • art73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art73 polycounter lvl 5
    frmdbl wrote: »
    @art73

I see, that's a totally different perspective.
    I think you have a reasonable rig there, and in this case Skylake and DDR4 are a sound investment.

The power supply will be more than enough,
    with a lot of leeway if you decide to go for a graphics card with higher power consumption.

Thanks. I did think about removing the motherboard and taking the cpu and memory in my luggage but it just seems alot of hassle and I can get a fair price for it all. I`m actually am fairly happy with the 2600k spec i have now, just the GPU is showing its age these days.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    My new pc with a 970/4790 was only fully functional (hopefully) yesterday and I upgraded from a 2600 so hopefully I can be of help.

Your current parts:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/k7pmMp

What I personally think:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rRYQHx
    Motherboard may be a bit over the top but oh well.
  • art73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art73 polycounter lvl 5
    Robeomega wrote: »
    My new pc with a 970/4790 was only fully functional (hopefully) yesterday and I upgraded from a 2600 so hopefully I can be of help.

Your current parts:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/k7pmMp

What I personally think:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rRYQHx
    Motherboard may be a bit over the top but oh well.

Thats great thanks. Can I ask why you went for the 4790k over the 6700k, I did my own comparison and it was £90 difference in price so thought i`d just go for the latest.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    art73 wrote: »
    Thats great thanks. Can I ask why you went for the 4790k over the 6700k, I did my own comparison and it was £90 difference in price so thought i`d just go for the latest.

The £90 difference in no way justifies the small difference between the to. I would instead save that money for whatever or save it and upgrade parts sooner than you would do in future if something very substantial comes along. Going for the "lastest" in my opinion does not justify spending more.

I may also be a bit bias because I just got a 4790 but then again I did make the DDR4 vs non DDR4 choice myself.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Pascal is coming most likely in Q1 2016 and is supposed to represent a substantial leapfrog for consumer graphics. I would wait to see if NVLink motherboards and if HBM really delivers.
    Nvidia drops Samsung and uses TSMC for Pascal
    With the pascal architecture Nvidia as well will make a move towards HBM memory (stacked on die memory), however they will jump right towards generation v2 of HBM, meaning they could inject up-to 32GB pf memory on the GPU. The new details show that the flagship NVIDIA Pascal (Single chip) would feature up to 16 GB HBM2 VRAM that can do 1 TB/s bandwidth.
    It is estimated that ther shader processor count for big pascal is anything from 4500 towards 6000 units. Big Pascal made on TSMC's 16 nanometer silicon fab process with a release in Q1 2016.
  • art73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art73 polycounter lvl 5
    Robeomega wrote: »
    The £90 difference in no way justifies the small difference between the to. I would instead save that money for whatever or save it and upgrade parts sooner than you would do in future if something very substantial comes along. Going for the "lastest" in my opinion does not justify spending more.

I may also be a bit bias because I just got a 4790 but then again I did make the DDR4 vs non DDR4 choice myself.

ok sure, i was more in line of trying to future proof things. Although that rarely works with computers.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, I dont want to hijack this thread but it might be better to post here, than to start new one regarding the same subject.

I am also on the market for new cpu and motherboard and wanted to ask if I get the latest I7 intel CPU can this still work with DDR3 or I would need new DDR4 ram as well?
    I am also trying to figure out if I should get the latest I7 or go for the 4790k, how much better would the newer one be and is it worth it? I am mainly going to be using it for modeling and sculpting, (zbrush, 3ds max)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanksi: We've had some detailed disucssions about this here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2348435#post2348435

Basically, a current gen 6 core i7 will be a little faster if you're maxing all 6 cores. If your app isn't well threaded and can't use more than 2 or 4, the 4790 will be a little faster. So it sort of depends on what you're doing. Overall cost when you consider cpu, ram and mobo tends to be significantly cheaper going 4790 (around $200 or so difference), but the performance difference is only about 15% in the newer CPU's favor, and only under ideal conditions.

I would go 4790 and save the extra money, or put it towards a better GPU, SSD, monitor, or something like that which will likely make more of a difference.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot EQ. This is what I was assuming myself but wanted to ask here as well. If I get the 4790 I can also keep all my ram as well so it will be even cheaper at the end.
  • art73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art73 polycounter lvl 5
    As an update , I have decided to keep the motherboard, cpu and memory and take it back home with me in my luggage. Then buy a 970 gtx graphics card, 512gb ssd,new case,etc when I arrive. Works out cheaper that way and probably wait until next year to upgrade the cpu/mb if I need too. But currently only my GTX 465 and 128gb ssd are letting my current system down.

Thanks