Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FF7 Barret Character Model WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ABorre12 polycounter lvl 7
Hello!

I'm working on a model of my version of Barret from Final Fantasy 7 and thought it's about time I make a WIP thread.

Working on the sculpt right now and plan to eventually make a full game res character out of him.

There is still much detailing to do, but I have just about all of the pieces blocked in at the very least. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

E1U3qoD.jpg

eN17Yk6.jpg

Replies

• raleif
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, this is so freaking baddass... and that hair! That hair is amazing, how did you make it?

Can't wait to see where you go with this, it's looking pretty great already.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    I think the ONLY thing I could really say, is that the gun arm itself doesn't quite feel beefy enough compared to what we generally see attached to his arm usually. The rest is absolutely stellar, and I'm suprised you captured his overall look so well in a realistically proportioned style.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This looks fantastic so far. I would agree that he doesn't look beefy enough. I would size up his arms, his upper body, and the gun.
  • ABorre12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you all!

raleif - the hair was made inside ZBrush using Fibermesh. I believe I just started with the "FIbers435" preset and messed with the settings until I got a decent look out of it. To make the flat top I made a mesh with a similar shape then used the same fibermesh settings. Pretty simple! I didn't spend a ton of time on the hair since I'll need to find another solution for the game mesh itself.

Gungriffon Geona - Yeah I did try a few things for the size/proportion of the gun arm. I wanted it to be large while still seeming light enough to carry on one arm. Realistic proportions has been one focus for this project, I'm glad it's reading well. Thanks!

slosh - Thanks! I think I will look into resizing the gun a bit, and his upper body to compensate. Love your work by the way.

Appreciate the comments! More to come!
  • ABorre12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Some updates on this guy..

I beefed up his gun a bit and shortened it, reads more like his gun from the game now. Trying to toe the line between making it look and chunky while keeping it believable that he can lug the thing around on his arm all the time.

His body proportions I kept more or less the same but I added a bit of definition to his upper body. I wanted to make the relative strength of his gun arm apparent, hence the heavy vasculature.

Moving forward I think I'll make the belt area a bit more interesting.. other than that mostly details, some buttons and little cloth pieces still need to be added.

I'd appreciate any feedback! I'm not sure how I feel about the wool inside of his vest, I added it on a whim and thought it looks alright.

Thank you!

ReONjWl.jpg

WEWfh5t.jpg
  • syrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of jax. Good work.
  • Montreseur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Montreseur polycounter lvl 6
    Needs more body hair I think.

With a great beard, comes great chest hair.