Home Technical Talk

Maya IK handle problem

Alright so every time I try and add an IK handle to a leg joint chain, and then move the IK handle, it rotates the top joint in the chain slightly. I'm not quite sure what's happening with it so any help would be appreciated!

I attached 2 pictures for a clearer explanation

Thanks

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Usually, we never touch the ikhandle, directly.
    The Ik handle should be a child of a Controller.
    The Controller should be zero'd out before any linking between the two is made.

Once the controller is linked with the ikhandle. Try moving it around. Then putting it back to 0 on the x,y,z transform channels.
    If the rotation on the top joint still is misbehaving you may have some offset issues that you'll have to track down. (Which might imply that the bones were created in a perspective view rather than Left,Right,Front, or back)
  • chacha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually, we never touch the ikhandle, directly.
    The Ik handle should be a child of a Controller.

This part always gets the best of beginners. Few months back I had the same problem and thought it might be a bug. :)
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    @allebasi, just ignore them.
    Those are super tiny rotation offsets, that come from the iteration of the ik solver.
    They wouldnt be displayed on my machine, where i see only threee digits after the point.
    You will probably never touch this joint during animation, just let the IK do its job :)