Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SKS rifle

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hey guys, i finshed retexturing an old model yesterday night and i figured id post it here so i can have some critics on it. Sadlly i dont have any more time to continue working on it but i would really like to see some critics i can improove on my next projects :) I got a marmoset viewer up here as well: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/sks-retextured
maximiliano-vazquez-sks-lp1.jpg?1442366575
maximiliano-vazquez-sks-lp2.jpg?1442366578
maximiliano-vazquez-sks-lp4.jpg?1442366583
maximiliano-vazquez-sks-lp6.jpg?1442366519

Replies

• Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work looks cool did you texture it in Substance painter
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Ellis wrote: »
    Great work looks cool did you texture it in Substance painter
    Thanks Ellis! Not really, i used photoshop and a bit of ndo to make the normals for the wood chips and dents
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    this is sweet. i think if you really push the gloss variance you would take this to a new quality level. you got a good model and a great texture base, just need to work things into the gloss map like parts of the gun being rougher or shinier from different amounts of touching, impacts, oils, carbon buildup, etc.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks Ben! Do you have any tips for working on the roughtness map? The problem i have with doing major edits to my base roughtness is that i usually end up with a very noisy looking texture.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looks nice, great bake for only 7.2k tris but I do think you could have kept it a bit higher to help smooth out some of those edges especially around the wood and some of the 90 degree edges/ curves, for an asset that will be seen up close its more important to keep it looking smooth and it adds a lot to the quality of the asset.
    Assuming this would go into a realistic/ next gen game its completely fine to go a lot higher since what you don't want is to see any noticeable edges in 1st or 3rd person views and you'd be using LOD's to keep it low at different distances either from other players or it being on the map.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks CarlK3d, yeah nowadays i would use more polys this is from earlier this year.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly I think it looks great - you don't necessarily want to add more to the gloss map (a somewhat clean look is actually quite refreshing, and there's already subtle detail in the gloss map as far I can see). Maybe I'm a bit backwards, but the polycount looks fine to me as well.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    maxivz wrote: »
    Thanks Ben! Do you have any tips for working on the roughtness map? The problem i have with doing major edits to my base roughtness is that i usually end up with a very noisy looking texture.
    You don't need to add noise, or particularly high-intensity overlays. The main issue is that when you squint at the gloss map it all looks the same. A greater range of variance will help a lot.