Home Adobe Substance

Workflow Question

I just recently obtained Substance Live to use for my texturing. Like any other programs I am trying to learn, the "technical" side was a bit confusing (at least for me). I just been watching the beginners tutorial on Allegorithmic's youtube channel to get myself acquainted with the program.

My current workflow includes:
Zbrush >
Topogun (retopology) >
3DCoat (UV unwrap) >
Zbrush (projecting detailed to retopologized/uv's low poly mesh) >
polypainting >
Topogun (bake maps including color vertex) >
Marmoset Toolbag for rendering

I guess, Painter will be replacing polypainting in Zbrush, and seeing that Painter can bake the maps, I might just do it there instead of Topogun...
1.Can SP handle million of poly's from Zbrush?
2.What are the "must do/have" I need to do within the other programs to have a seamless transition of mesh/files to SP?
3. Can I create texture sets in Zbrush or 3DCoat?
4. Any suggestion/recommendation/tips for improving my workflow to minimize transferring between programs? thanks.

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    . SP can handle millions of polys just fine, the initial laoding and first time you bake stuff can ba a bit long though as we process the mesh into a more optimized format.

2. SP accepts pretty much any format out there, although FBX is preffered. So there isn't really a "right" tool to use along with SP

3. Texture sets are sreparated by materials. If 3D Coat allows you to apply different materials to different parts of your mesh before exporting, you're good.

4. Definitely the painting and baking of all maps can be done in SP, that will already remove some back and forth between softwares.
  • flipside8404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for answering my questions!
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    convolution223 polycounter lvl 6
    3. Texture sets are sreparated by materials. If 3D Coat allows you to apply different materials to different parts of your mesh before exporting, you're good.

I was wondering about this. I have a complicated environment model and I UV'd parts of it in chunks (all separate objects) and selected it all and exported from maya in one fbx. Brought it in Painter and now I see that the UV's are being combined if they share the same material. So I guess I should define new materials for everything if I'm taking it into UE4?