Home Adobe Substance

Curvature artefacts

copenhagenjazz
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
copenhagenjazz polycounter lvl 14
Hi

I am trying my hands out on Substance Designer trying to bake out all maps in Substance Designer. However I am getting some artefacts with the curvature map I try to bake out.

Substance_Curvature_question_A.jpg

Now these artefacts in my curvature is certainly caused by the gradients in my normalmap. Is there any way to get the curvature generator read my normalmap in the same correct manner as the renderer or will I have to work around this issue by splitting the UV's and the smoothing groups?

Any suggestions or should I just accept these limitations?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    could you try lowering the curvature intensity (details)? It looks very saturated at the moment and it may cause unwanted detail to come out. You may be able to get a better overall look with smoother variations, with a lower value.
  • copenhagenjazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jerc

Thanks for your suggestion :) I have lowered it and indeed it looks a lot better. I intentionally exaggerated the settings here to illustrate the issue.

Lowering the intensity however is not really my preferred solution. Although I love baking everything in Substance I cannot unsee an artefact if it has presented itself :P So I would rather solve it somehow rather than just covering it up :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Would you be able to share your low poly + normal map for us to take a look at?
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think the maths we use for combining the curvature coming from the discrete geometry and the curvature coming from the normal map are precise enough for them to perfectly compensate each other in such a case. I suppose the only way to get a perfectly flat curvature for hard surfaces with such normals would be to directly compute the curvature on the high poly mesh instead of the low poly + normals, which would require a new baker.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Please do this, if it's at all feasible. I assumed that's what you were doing in the first place and couldn't account for issues like the above, and the thin black seams you get at some UV borders (even with padding).

Would generating from a world space/object space map give better results? Essentially taking the low poly normals out of the equation?
  • copenhagenjazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc I just sent you a PM with the example files.

Thanks for looking into this :)
  • copenhagenjazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jerc, did you get the files?