Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chico State Game Studios Modeling Weeklies

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    @dpadam450
    "Being that I am not paid for anything, and you are paid to lecture and help, I just don't really understand this at all. Are you not able to critique your own students?"

If you don't want to critique, you obviously don't have to? I think this thread is a great Idea. At the very least it gets students used to posting their work in a public forum and looking for fresh eyes. Obviously these students are going to get advice from their tutors, but why limit yourself to learning from one place? "Don't you own books? Then why would you go to a library??"
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    So quoting on Polycount is broken as hell right now, but I'll dive in with some quick observations:

@TERONIZ Boxxes: If you are going for a cheap "filled with stuff" look you really want a normal map on there. You are also spending lots of tris to keep an even quad surface on the 'pile' which is totally unnecessary. Exagerate the height and shape a bit more, then decimate it using Decimation master or whatever the equvilent of Pro Optimizer is in Maya - you don't need perfect quads on low poly environment props unless a shader specifically requires it.

@OSAMANO Stocks: Nice model and texture, but the material definition is really lacking - I can't tell if you have a spec map or PBR textures on this at all. You want to get some more contrast out of Gloss and Roughness / Specularity. Some large  scale detail would be nice as well, larger wear and tear details across the posts.

@ZAKIOZ & @MIMINE Get some more polys on these pots! round shapes need more polys!
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @fearian, I will pump up the gloss on some of the metal and wood. The dirt "coating" really made the gloss dull.
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    @FEARIAN Thanks for the feedback! And yeah, I was being a bit too hung up keeping an even quad layout. I also got feedback about increasing the poly count in order to make it look more... real? Don't remember the words they used. Anyhow, I'll give what you suggest a go!
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model I created was very simple, just an animal skin rug. I wanted to create something different in Substance Designer, so I thought it would be fun to take this asset for the material it would need.

Fur Substance:

The usual poor, noisy screen grab from Painter:

• Altostratus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there. This week I made a candlestick and a candle stand.

• Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    Hello again! Just been polishing my previous work. 

Here's a bin full of cloth. Tried many times to get the flat plane version to work. However, never seemed to look right. So I went with the non-plane version. The baking process has been a very interesting learning curve overall. Still trying many different methods for the apples to make them look great on a flat plane (along with using the feedback given by many). Lots of trial and error.

I've also worked on the bottles a little bit. Not sure if i want to keep the right most the exotic color they are or not. 

Anyhow, that's it for now!
  • Yoomes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For this week, I was working on trying to make a camp fire. This is what I have so far. I feel like I can take it a bit further. I will play around and see what I can do. Here is what I have.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Q1ZAl9l.png[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/po5iDgi.png[/img]

• shiddles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shiddles vertex
    I have been tasked with making a horse which so far i have been is a bit difficult for sculpting. 

• osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to make small alterations to some of the modular pieces for the level design department. Buildings in the area are raised and have stoops, so I created building platforms with trim, raised the doors and gave them a step, and created stoops for each door size.