Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Color ID Problem from Maya to Quixel

Hey Guys,

So I got hopefully a small issue that can be answered or fixed when exporting my color ID and Low Poly Model to Quixel.

So I have my Color ID created for my Air Control Tower applied to my low poly model in Maya as you can see in the first image and everything is separated the way I want it by use of the Color ID.

34s4j2s.jpg

But when I bring in my Low Poly and Color ID into quixel, 80% of the mesh has the color ID applied to it, whereas the rest (the top half mostly) is all black and does not have the Color ID information as you see in the second image. Is there something I'm missing upon importing/exporting?

x1ndjq.jpg

I applied a quick concrete material to show that it can apply to everything in the Color ID information EXCEPT the black portion.

k0put3.jpg

Steps How I did it:

1. Transfer Color ID map onto Low Poly Model(Lambert Shader based model not sure if that matters) by use of Transfer Maps so that it becomes a texture in Maya
2. Import Low Poly Model, that now has the color ID texture, as Mesh for DDO.

3. Import Color ID Map as Targa formatted ID Map for DDO.

4. Use Default Materials Preset then Create Base.

I hope I was descriptive enough and would be willing to provide any more information that is needed! Thanks for help!

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Your images aren't loading. Could you upload them to Imgur.com?

In the meantime, try making your color ID map a *.PNG with no compression and use that instead.
  • ILoveArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Syn, thanks so much for taking the time too look this once over! I'm not sure why the images aren't showing for you but they are for me but either way I took your advice and uploaded them on imgur. I also tried your suggestion and switched my color ID format from Targa to PNG but it has the same issue. Here are the images in order of what I described in my first message.

1VyIC7c.jpg

4PYzrUS.jpg

v37ogCe.jpg
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing that comes to mind is that in Quixel you're loading an outdated model with a different UV mapping.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I see bigger problems to tackle first.

You're not using as much of your UV space as you could be. If you have to make this a single texture (I'm not sure why), I'd recommend attempting to fill the entire 0-1 space with your UVs. Make the areas least likely to be seen smaller on your UV map, and use the space savings to improve the resolution of the other components of your model.

Personally, though, what I'd do is this: Try breaking this project into a set of tileable textures. The Suite works well with them, and I can actually give you a couple of examples because I'm currently building Eielson Air Force Base in UE4. Unless this is for a top-down RTS game, you're going to have individual pixels visible from eye level. It'll be rather blurry looking from any first-person perspective. For example, the main hangar of Eielson is this building:

Eielson_AFB_control_tower.jpg

I can recreate almost all of its exterior with these two tileable 2048x textures:

kxOUPhj.png

They look a bit bland but that's the nature of albedo maps.

In regards to your current problem, what DI said may be the issue. It could also be that you're not exporting your model correctly. Where is the top of your control tower located on your UVs currently?
  • ILoveArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Devil_Inside I'm a bit confused when you mean loading an outdated model into quixel, apologies for the stupidity. Do you mean the model I have export may not have the same UV layout as the Color ID? If so, I've checked that and it is the same.

@Syn Yeah, I'm kind of new when it comes to proper use of UV layout and and the understanding of Texel Density. It does in fact have to have a single texture with multiple maps (spec,diff,normal,gloss etc).

As far as your suggestion goes for breaking my UV layout up for tileable texture, I may consider that as I do agree Quixel Suite's way of texturing leans more favorably towards that. The top of my tower is represented by the color purple in the middle of the color ID. I really appreciate both of you stepping up and giving me some answers!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    How is it that you've mapped that black area in 3DO, then? I can't imagine the cylindrical shape being mapped from a top or bottom projection.

>It does in fact have to have a single texture with multiple maps (spec,diff,normal,gloss etc).

I'm curious as to why that is. But regardless, I'm not sure why you're having issues with this model. If you want to, send it my way and I'll load it up over here in Max and see what happens.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    The concrete material you applied - did you assign it to the Red ID and no other IDs?
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    When you render your ID map make sure that you render it without antialiasing turned on. You should see the strong edge between two ID colors, no smoothing. What else you can try is to reassign materials by ID colors inside Quixel DDO one by one. Auto material assigning by ID color does not work properly in Quixel 1.8 until you use updated swatch created by DonCorniholio.
  • ILoveArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys sorry for the slow reply, been having other issues.

@ Syn I've since fixed the problem, it was in fact what Vipera described, the Color ID , it had ssome smooth edges after I edited it instead of keeping the strong edges, there was just certain bleeding I wasn't liking I didn't know it would effect the ddo generation that bad. As Always though your input and help is awesome!

@Wiktor Yup I assigned it just to the red ID. Thankfully the issue is now fixed. Thanks for the feed!

@Vipera Thanks so much Vipera, it was in fact the fact that some of the edges of the color ID were blurry/smoothed so I generated a new Color ID with antialising turned on and not editing the color ID and it works perfectly thanks so much! I've tried using the auto mat assigner quixel provides for Maya but it sometimes crashes maya for me sometimes so I do a quick diffuse bake onto my low poly from a multi-shaded duplicate version of the model. TAkes just as much time but no crashes. Thanks so much Vipera! Really Helpful!
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    You are welcome! I am glad you have solved your problem.