Home Technical Talk

no transforms appearing in channel box (Maya)

Yonderboy
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Yonderboy polycounter lvl 6
Hi there polycounters!

Got what is a simple noob question :).

I (maybe stupidly) started editing an old rigged character I had, removed all its bones etc. and started editing. Now Ive realised that none of the meshes have any transform options in the Maya channel box :-/ Is there a simple way of getting them back again?

I was given an error message about 'object space scaling baked in' at one point, but can't recreate that

any help would be much appreciated!

thanks
Nick

Replies

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Try going to Windows > General Editors > Channel Control. You should see your standard transformation channels in the center list. Select them and move them to the left column.
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    mm... i think it may be related - but I now don't seem to be able to add new materials to the mesh :-/ Any idea why that may be? :-)

thanks again!
  • Zodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe check if you did "lock and hide" channel on those transforms that disappeared.
    And maybe material is locked too?
    Dont have maya atm, but its in channel box, when you right-click an attribute, called something like "lock selected" also has "lock and hide" i think.
    Maybe that happened while you were rigging, locking unneeded attributes, so maybe you caught material one too by accident.
    Or good old close and reopen maya :)
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    can't see a material attribute anywhere :-/ What happens exactly, is that I can assign a new material - but the default lambert still stays by default. If I export as fox and reimport it works fine, but then I loose all my crease sets :(
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    mm.. i think it may be something to do with my initial shadinggroup or something. When I export and import into another file all the material assigning works ok. But when imported back into this file weird things happen
  • Zodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    one more thing, maybe check for multiple materials on the same mesh, maybe a few polygons have one mat (lambert1) and others have custom material you've made.
    You can check this in attribute editor, go all the way right and see if there is lambert1 alongside your mat applied to the mesh.
    Or
    Try applying lambert1 to the whole model and then apply your custom mat.
    Or
    Polygon mode> Select all polygons > Apply custom mat

Source: Happened to me a few times
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    tried all that :( - think I'm gonna have to reimport as fox and just loose all my crease sets

thanks