Home Technical Talk

Questions about in-game resolution modeling

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
I want to make some of my models in-game resolution which means I should re-topo, create UVs, bake normals, and then texture. I'm slightly familiar with texturing for in-game resolution, however I feel I need to know more and have specific questions in regards to this process.

I want my characters posed. Should I re-topo and create UV maps before I pose my characters so I can have evenly symmetrical polygon count? Does this matter much?

Do employers really care if UV layouts are neat and orderly or more so about the space individual spaces? For example, I have a character with several armor pieces. Should these pieces be grouped logically? Or does this even matter?

What is the standard poly count for individual characters on current generation consoles (PS4/Xbox One)?

The UV mapping, baking normals, and re-topo process is perhaps my least favorite part about modeling, but it has to be done. If you guys could give me some suggestions on steps I could take which may save myself a headache or even direct me to an online tutorial which covers this topic well, please let me know. Thank you.

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Topo and UV before you pose. Around 80k tris is a good target for modern AAA games. Grouping UVs isn't too important.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    If you want a quick and somewhat painless way to unwrap organic objects, could look into using UVLayout Headous? Really good program, and my go to unwrap solution for almost anything for sake of sanity as it does a really good job with its auto organic unwraps.

As for the UV packing, I would have a material set for each actual type of material or have a new set for each major modular section of the character if possible. Packing the UV's, obviously the more efficient, the better, so would be a bonus point to employers if you knew how to pack efficiently. Why do it sloppy ya know? Especially if its for first impressions for getting a job.

3D motive has some good prop baking videos that obviously pertain to any sort of 3d model baking. Also, the polycount wiki has some amazing resources for everything you asked above, particularly how to get a good bake.

Spend some time searching through past threads, can gain some really good tips even from older workflows, as the general principles are the same for the most part.