Home Quixel Megascans

Please update your Licensing FAQs

VictorB
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
VictorB polycounter lvl 6
You've lumped up Indie into the Hobbyist/Freelancer/Modder category in Quixel 2.0, but all four of these are so different from each other.

What I want to know is this:

Indie/Freelance/Hobbyist/Modder category: Can we create our Indie Game using this and be 100% okay with no revenue restrictions? Your current FAQs are outdated, so I am sure I am not the only one trying to figure this out.

Commercial License: Is this targeted at AAA companies? If so, what's the difference between that and Indie, if there's no revenue restrictions on either.

The current wording between the categories is "puzzling" at best.

http://www.quixel.se/usermanual/ddo/doku.php?id=faq was last updated 2013.

This is the current version when paying for the suite:

The Hobby & Freelancer license allows individual Modders, Hobbyists and Freelancers alike to sell assets online unrestrictedly. This edition is fully featured

Self-published indie studios, big or small, are all entitled to the Indie license. No revenue restrictions apply. This edition is fully featured.

The single-user commercial license allows for unrestricted use. This edition is fully featured.

Versus Quixel 2.0:

The Indie, Hobby & Freelancer license allows independent artists (Modders, Hobbyists, Freelancers and Indie developers alike) to unrestrictedly sell assets and products textured using Quixel SUITE 2.0.

The single-user Commercial license allows for unrestricted commercial use.

So, is "product" the final finished game in this case? I hate word games. Just tell us up front what's up please!

Thanks a lot! And oh the DDO Painter...hmmmm...I mean, you guys couldn't have gone with another name? LOL

Replies

• Kowalski
    Offline / Send Message
    Kowalski polycounter lvl 4
    I would like to know this too, i have an Indie license.
    btw..I like the name "DDO Painter"
  • VictorB
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, it was just a jab, I mean it would have been nice to have something different than their Substance counterpart. More originality I guess. Doesn't matter, just need to know what's up with the Licenses.
  • HeadClot
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    +1 for Updating the Current Licensing FAQ. :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Yes we're looking at updating this, the difference between indie and commercial is if you have a publisher, since that is the definition of an indie studio. But yes for sure we are going to update these documents!
  • VictorB
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes we're looking at updating this, the difference between indie and commercial is if you have a publisher, since that is the definition of an indie studio. But yes for sure we are going to update these documents!

So, what you're saying is that Indie in 2.0 is the same Indie as now. And you've just lumped them together with Freelance/Modder/Hoobyist? So we are now getting Indie at a much more reduced price than now?

I just want to have that clarified.

Indie in 2.0 will have no revenue restrictions and can be used to make your Indie game. And be at the same price as Hobbyist/Modder/Freelancer. And fully featured. No penalties anywhere.

Is that correct?

The biggest thing I guess for me specifically, I am currently under the Education License (I am a student) and haven't had the need to upgrade, until now really. Since we'll be getting free upgrades with 2.0.

If Indie is now moved down to Freelance price, I might as well upgrade now and wait for my free upgrade with 2.0
  • Devil_Inside
    You should upgrade now, as when the pre-order ends the price for "Indie/Hobby/Freelance" will go up a bit.
  • VictorB
    Offline / Send Message
    You should upgrade now, as when the pre-order ends the price for "Indie/Hobby/Freelance" will go up a bit.

Yup, their support said so as well. But...they haven't given me my Upgrade Voucher yet...so it's kinda iffy at the moment...what's going on exactly:(
  • Cyra
    @VictorB Have you been able to get the upgrade voucher yet? If not so sorry about the delay, send me an email at cyra@quixel.se and I will hook you right up :)