Home Unity

3D Unity Simple Driving Game Question

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Jska polycounter lvl 2
Hello! I've been working off of a tutorial my professor has made for us on creating a simple car in unity.
I've been able to build a car (just something I had laying around) and apply wheel colliders as well as a carControl script. The only problem at this point is that the car takes a lot of time to accelerate. I tried changing the weight but if i put it any less then 500 it flies into space.
what I'm trying to do is speed up the acceleration without changing the weight of the car.

Here's the carControl script assigned to the car prefab
tumblr_nu8cteVh1N1tqgrtjo1_1280.png

Here's the 4 wheel colliders all with the same settings
tumblr_nu8cteVh1N1tqgrtjo2_1280.png

I'm thinking that the problems are in the wheel collider settings but I've been testing by trial and error to find a good balance but I'm not getting anywhere.
I'm hoping someone can take a look at this for me and tell me what I'm not seeing. If anyone needs to see the scripts I'll be more then happy to post them.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acceleration would probably be in the carControl script. Where is it from originally? Find the author and ask them. Did you ask your professor for help yet?
  • Jska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jska polycounter lvl 2
    The code is something my professor wrote up for a video tutorial he made.
    Classes don't start again until Tuesday and I was hoping to get this solved during the weekend so I could use my time more efficiently for other classes once the week started back up. yay college art classes haha.

But I could email him to ask, I just don't know how much help he can offer or if he'll even check his email since it's the weekend.

I'll take a look earlier in the tutorial to see if I missed something in the scripting.
  • Jska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jska polycounter lvl 2
    Here's the carControl script I've written out so far, there's more I need to write from the tutorial but I wanted to figure out what was wrong before adding more.

tumblr_nu8cteVh1N1tqgrtjo4_r1_1280.png
  • Jska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jska polycounter lvl 2
    UPDATE
    so I brought the problem to my boss and he basically told me the method my professor was using is way out of date, so long story short i'll be completely rebuilding the game.