Home General Discussion

Need advice about Digital Painting

KyJ
Hello people of Polycount :)!
I was thinking about starting a path about 2D Digital painting.
But i've some questions regarding the right way to do it.
Starting from the fact that i don't have any experience regarding drawing skills but i'm enough proficent with Photoshop,in your opinion what's the best path to follow?
I mean, should i start studying some fundamental drawing concepts like prospective, anatomy etc... or go directly through Digital painting and learn how to draw with digital softwares?
Time is not an issue.
Thanks for the anwers and forgive me if my english is not the best :(

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    This guy is legit if you want to learn how to draw. Much less expensive than art school, but hopefully expensive enough to keep you motivated during the hard times.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ <- Even less expensive

http://drawabox.com/ <- Another alternative. I liked both of them.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Just say "fuck the 10,000 hours of practice" rule. Hire experienced people whol already have 100,000 hours of work experience to teach you.

If you do it the hard way you'll spend years self-teaching and wondering why nobody gives you money for your art talentS.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Photoshop is just a tool. Whether you draw digitally or on paper isn't really important at this stage, it's just a medium. Use what you are most comfortable with. The same principles will apply if you decide to switch later on.

Focusing on the fundamentals (perspective, anatomy, color theory, etc.) is definitely the way to go.
    Best of luck!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Mr.Moose wrote: »
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ <- Even less expensive

Can't recommend theses guys enough.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Photoshop is just a tool. Whether you draw digitally or on paper isn't really important at this stage, it's just a medium.

I would agree ... to an extent. There is no doubt that an image can be made from scratch in Photoshop, but tablets (and even Cintiqs) are still an order of magnitude less precise than pen and paper. (This is pretty obvious when watching any lineart-based digital painting video - artists starting them from scratch in PS tend to rely on something like 4 consecutive lineart passes just to get their lines right).

Put differently : let's say you had one year of free time ahead of you. I can almost guarantee that one year spent with just pen and paper would get you further skills-wise than one year sitting in front of Photoshop.

I hope this makes sense !
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    pior wrote: »
    I would agree ... to an extent. There is no doubt that an image can be made from scratch in Photoshop, but tablets (and even Cintiqs) are still an order of magnitude less precise than pen and paper. (This is pretty obvious when watching any lineart-based digital painting video - artists starting them from scratch in PS tend to rely on something like 4 consecutive lineart passes just to get their lines right).

Put differently : let's say you had one year of free time ahead of you. I can almost guarantee that one year spent with just pen and paper would get you further skills-wise than one year sitting in front of Photoshop.

I hope this makes sense !

I agree with this, i can't sketch in photoshop or anything with my intuos. I've been trying for a while but now i've simply stopped and started drawing in a sketchbook again.

You just don't have the accuracy to make like lines you want first time.

Hoped a drawing display would help though. Maybe I'll get that eventually.

I also highly recommend ctrl+paint mainly because it starts with the basics I learned in highschool (i went to art highschool with college classes). I went there for review when I felt my work was lacking and it was great.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    I'm also going to +1 www.ctrlpaint.com Matt Kohr's lessons are really great!

Since you mentioned that you don't have much drawing skills, I really think it would be in your best interest to just get a sketchbook and some pencils. Once you know the fundamentals and principles of drawing traditional you can always transfer those skills to digital.
  • KyJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyJ
    Thanks for the answers guys! One more question:
    What are the topics(fundamentals) that i should cover? i was looking for the Gnomon's course ones but i can't find them :(
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    The first fundamental thing you should learn is how to correctly make a mark. You want to be able to plan exactly where you want your pen to go and make it go there. Learn how to draw straight lines somewhat reproducibly, and how to draw non-wobbly lines from the shoulder, the elbow, the wrists and the fingers. I had to do this for six to ten pages of lines and ellipses and shit before I was ready to move on. Once you're confident in your ability to make a mark in the right place, move on to studying perspective, of the one, two, and three point varieties. Don't always use a ruler for perspective studies, because you'll want to be able to draw stuff in perspective that's not made out of straight lines later on.

Once you've got these things under control (and note that you can and should always go back and do some drills) you will be ready to start drawing things. You will almost always learn more by drawing from life, so grab your sketchbook and pen and leave the apartment and go to any of the following places that might be available:

• botanical garden
    • zoo
    • well-lit public transport station
    • parking lot in a safe area
    • park
    • arcade
    • coffee shop
    • beach or shore
    • museum of natural history

Be brave! But not too brave, of course, and be aware of your surroundings. Find someplace to sit, and open your sketchbook and draw things that are in the place, including things that move. Erase minimally or not at all at this point. You want to capture the big shapes and work down to the little details. Spend at least five minutes on each thing you draw, and take as much time as you need, but draw your strokes quickly enough that they don't wobble. If anyone looks at your sketchbook and implies that you aren't very good at drawing, tell them that you'd very much like to get better and ask them if they have suggestions, or if they would like to pose to be drawn to help you practice. They will usually either leave you alone or help you out, but be sure to be nice about it always.

Back at home, you can lay out some fruit or sandwiches on the table and do some still life drawings. These will really increase your skill quickly, so don't do too many or you'll be better at drawing than I am in no time.

After you've drawn a thing several times, break down in your sketchbook the optimal way to draw it and write some notes about its shape. Then, later on, try to draw the object from your notes and see if you get something believable. It might take a few times for any particular object for you to really get it down, but you will be constantly improving.

After you've filled up one sketchbook with drawings, or if you feel that the time is right, you should sign up for a figure drawing session with nude models. Go to it and draw the nice people who are there. If the session is still going and you've already drawn all of the models, draw them again. Fill a second sketchbook with only nude drawings.

At this point, you'll be well on your journey and you should have plenty ideas of what you would like to draw in your third sketchbook. Keep them all as you fill them and don't stop drawing until you die.

Hope this is helpful :)
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    The ctrl+paint site lists the fundamentals on it's video page.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

Look at subjects 2 through 7
  • KyJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyJ
    Thanks to all guys! I've gathered enough informations to start my journey :D