Home Adobe Substance

Designer generates Normal with visible UV pattern

Hello,
I've been using Designer for a while now, for generating all kind of maps. I love how fast it is!
Most of the time everything goes smoothly, however sometimes I run into this problem: the generates maps show the UV layout and become hard to use, if not useless.

My workflow is as such (and is always the same):
- Mesh exported from Maya
- Detailing in ZBrush
- Displacement, Normal and Space Normal generated in Zbrush
- High res mesh exported from ZBrush
- Link 3D low res (Maya) and high res (Zbrush) meshes in Designer, generate Normal from Mesh, generate Curvature from Normal.

Now basically what I really need is the curvature, and, in this case as in others (but not every time) I end up with the attached.

The thing is, the Normal generated in ZBrush does not show the problem, as the same is true for the Occlusion I generate in xNormal, so I'm really not sure where the problem lies.
I've tried several options, but keep ending up with this.
Any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks!
AS

Replies

• dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    It's not the issue with Designer. I get this every time I export FBX in Modo. I don't know how to fix it in Maya but what I do in Modo - I open exported FBX, go to vertex maps and delete FBX normals. For some reasons every quad has a hard edge but overall smoothing is fine.

so you have to fix smoothing in your file.
  • Aeon Soul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, of course it's not an issue of Designer, just something that has to do on how it reads some file etc.
    Anyway exporting from Maya with no normals/soft normals/unlocked normals (I asked my partner, since I only manage the detailing/texturing part) worked perfectly for the Normal map, but I still have some trouble on the Curvature (although much less)!
    Let's say is much more usable now although not perfectly clean.

May have to try other export options.
    Thanks for the tip!