Home Technical Talk

UVing Large Object and Low Resolution

pandauric
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
pandauric polycounter lvl 3
I am trying to create a texture of a large potter with the dimensions 12m x 3m x 1m. I have tried several ways of Uving it and bringing it into quixel for texturing, and they each present different issues when finally viewed in a game engine (UE4 / cryengine).
Planter.png

1st way of unwrapping = low resolution up close
If I unwrap the model altogether and keep it in one straight rectified (rectangulated) segment in the 1x1 UV space, then it comes to 24m x 3m x 1m. See image below. I bake it as 2048x2048. In quixel I use a texel density of 2048. When I texture this in quixel and then bring it into the engine it is blurry (low resolution) when I am ~3 meters away from the planter.
1st_unwrap.png

2nd way of unwrapping = seams
If I unwrap the planter into three separate parts, the length of the planter, and then the two curved ends (see image). I bake it at 2048x2048. In quixel I use a texel density of 2048. When I texture this in quixel and then bring it into the engine there are two issues: 1st, there is a seam (second image below); and 2nd, the texture resolution is blurry at ~1m away from the model.
2nd_unwrap.png
2nd_unwrap_seam.png
free photo hosting

3rd way
Unwrap it quickly, don't bake it, and apply a single texture to the mesh that I tile in order to acquire a high quality resolution in game. I can't make a custom texture specifically for the model this way through the use of its bakes, but by increasing the tiling I can get the resolution to look good.

Does anyone have any suggestions, am I missing something in concern to the first two ways of unwrapping and texturing? Thank you.

Replies

• skankerzero
    Can you fix your images? I'd like to see what you're talking about.
  • echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    If you add more padding to your UVs in your 2nd way that seam will go away(or at least be less noticeable).
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Any specific reason you need to bake that? I would just add some extra geo to get softer edges and then use tiling textures. It doesn't really contain anything worthy of baking.
  • pandauric
    Offline / Send Message
    pandauric polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware that adding more padding would make the seam less noticeable. I shall definitely try that out. I looked up padding and seams and it seems that if you are doing a 1024 texture, then 16 pixels of padding is recommended, and for 2048, then 24 pixels of padding is best. When I baked it I went with the default 2 pixels of padding.

@Brygelsmack
    I guess I am just experimenting and trying to learn quixel. Specifically though, I wanted to try my hand at texturing a relatively large model. I guess texturing in the 0-1 area with anything less than a 4096 texture probably isn't the way to go when working with large models. Thank you for the suggestion of adding more geo; I will definitely do that as it is very low poly anyway.