Home General Discussion

Markus Persson (aka “Notch”) ‘I’ve never felt more isolated’: The man who sold Minecr

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
According to the businessinsider.

"Markus Persson (aka “Notch”) ‘I’ve never felt more isolated’: The man who sold Minecraft"

http://www.businessinsider.co.id/minecraft-founder-feels-isolated-unhappy-2015-8/#.VeNxZ_lVhBd

"It’s the dream of many a startup founder: Make something people love and wind up wildly rich, selling the company for billions.

But after you do that, what comes next? It could be a sense of hopeless isolation.

So says Minecraft founder Markus Persson (aka “Notch”) in a strangely revealing series of tweets.

Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion almost a year ago, and the founder did not join Microsoft after the sale.

Persson certainly looked like he was having a blast, living the big life. He bought a $70 million mansion, completed with a massive wall of candy, and has been hosting wild parties ever since.

But he’s really bored and deeply lonely, he revealed in a series of tweets.

“The problem with getting everything is you run out of reasons to keep trying, and human interaction becomes impossible due to imbalance,” he tweeted.

“Hanging out in ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want, and I’ve never felt more isolated.”

6816790550_c535e64ea2_k.jpg

Replies

• stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    why couldnt he start a really cool indie game publisher or something? he seem to have really nice values and certainly the money. that would be what i would do if i had that money, find projects i thought was really cool and fund the shit out of them. i mean, if he isnt interested in developing himself anymore.

share the money bro, you wont be able to enyoy it yourself! happiness comes from sharing anyways
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Not only that, it would probably give him reason to be more with people that is also game devs and such, his employees and such, would probably be much better for him.

It's kinda weird story at this age when you think about it. A guy who has everything, but he feels like he has nothing.....How many other devs would dream to be in his place....
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly, it's hard to imagine being that rich. It's almost unnatural.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    From what I remember of his blog, he prefer working on smaller projects by himself, as soon as other people start working on it, it becomes less personal to him. I believe he's also given tons of money to different projects.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Oh buh fucking hu. I don't pity him at all, because from the sound of it, he doesn't make use of the freedom he has gotten. What creating games just a way for him to get rich and when he became that, games wasn't worth looking at??
    Bah. I don't know about you guys, but I have projects I would love to start on, but would require loads of money and not something you can just do. Must be something he is passionate about that he can't just buy.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    fYIzH2R.jpg

Seriously though, daily interest alone would buy my freedom for any project id want to do for years. Instead i'm buying myself a nice art book every month after slaving away to make someone else rich. ./End jealous rant
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    McGreed wrote: »
    Oh buh fucking hu. I don't pity him at all, because from the sound of it, he doesn't make use of the freedom he has gotten. What creating games just a way for him to get rich and when he became that, games wasn't worth looking at??
    Bah. I don't know about you guys, but I have projects I would love to start on, but would require loads of money and not something you can just do. Must be something he is passionate about that he can't just buy.

make that much cash and then tell us how everything did not change for you...

he had more money than he could possibly need before he even sold it, go for it start a project, let it grow way past your own imagination and way above your head and be the ass for everyone and everything you have not been involved with in years.

he never wanted to work on such a huge project, it happened and he became a public person - it's easy to say that he should be super happy and super productive now. But he has money beyond believe, and possibly every single person he knows begging for something. This puts you apart from people I don't believe for a second it does not.

I guess the best thing he could do is talk to the someone who built that company owning minecrqft now, who possibly went through similar experiences, Bill Gates.
    I guess he will possibly not find his new role in the world on his own, or it will be way harder without anyone sharing similar experiences.

You think becoming worldfamous and filthy rich basically over night is easy? Why do you think many famous childactors drown in drugs? Nobody can prepare you for this. I hope he will keep or find some real friends, who do not care about his money.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Neox wrote: »
    make that much cash and then tell us how everything did not change for you...

he had more money than he could possibly need before he even sold it, go for it start a project, let it grow way past your own imagination and way above your head and be the ass for everyone and everything you have not been involved with in years.

he never wanted to work on such a huge project, it happened and he became a public person - it's easy to say that he should be super happy and super productive now. But he has money beyond believe, and possibly every single person he knows begging for something. This puts you apart from people I don't believe for a second it does not.

I guess the best thing he could do is talk to the someone who built that company owning minecrqft now, who possibly went through similar experiences, Bill Gates.
    I guess he will possibly not find his new role in the world on his own, or it will be way harder without anyone sharing similar experiences.

You think becoming worldfamous and filthy rich basically over night is easy? Why do you think many famous childactors drown in drugs? Nobody can prepare you for this. I hope he will keep or find some reel friends, who do not care about his money.

And he took insane hate from a very very large fan base for new decisions and update on Minecraft even when he was no longer working on the project.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    He should fund indie developers.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He should fund indie developers.

he did that, and tried it for some others and will most likely do it in the future. but unless he does it anonymously this will most likely be used in ways he might not support
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Still would rather have that 2 billions... #_#
    I'm gonna start like 5 game projects at once. And help kickstart a few more indie proj. Top tier pledge they have available. And get to meet them and talk with them a lot to fuel my own ideas some more @_@ .
  • Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    I think the dude is suffering, you can be rich in body but poor in mind. Some friends were talking about this in IRC, From what they gathered he sold his studio to m$ and now the friends he worked with are being treated like dogshit, Some ladyfriend left him for another guy who was more normal because of the imbalance there would be in a relationship with someone so wealthy. You can't experience wealth like that until it happens so there is no need to judge how someone should feel. Overall it seems like twitterdrama with no bearing to anyone, dude is just having a midlife crisis after being dropped in it and needs to change his attitude imo.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Still would rather have that 2 billions... #_#
    I'm gonna start like 5 game projects at once. And help kickstart a few more indie proj. Top tier pledge they have available. And get to meet them and talk with them a lot to fuel my own ideas some more @_@ .

of course you would, everyone would. anyone saying he/she would not is straight up lying. the question is, can you handle it?

ever had the responsibility for a team?
    ever been in a shitstorm?
    whatever you experienced that he did, it will only be a fraction of his experience, money included but it is not the only issue he faced, but it will bring up a hell lot of other issues

i doubt anyone here, including me, could handle such a thing well
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's almost as if depression operates entirely independently of financial status.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Shouldn't have bought that huge house. Its fun for showing off and having parties, but when that's over and there's no one else there its just like a giant tomb that was destined to make someone without a wife/kids feel lonely.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Shouldn't have bought that huge house. Its fun for showing off and having parties, but when that's over and there's no one else there its just like a giant tomb that was destined to make someone without a wife/kids feel lonely.

I was thinking the same thing. That place must be crushingly depressing when nobody is around. Just you and your echoing footsteps.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It's almost as if depression operates entirely independently of financial status.

It's almost like deciding to live an empty vapid lifestyle with zero goals ISN'T the secret to happiness.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, here's the thing ... I don't know why he changed. Maybe he thought he had to or something. But he WAS perfectly happy at one time in his life. Coding away on projects in a room somewhere ... before Minecraft exploded.

So go back to that. Fuck the world. Make yourself happy with a little cottage in the Italian countryside, I dunno. Buy a laptop. Code.
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    why couldnt he start a really cool indie game publisher or something?

Why would you though? I mean there would no purpose to anything you do. Make a game and it sells, well the money is nothing compared to what you already had. Its not like he even has a brand to build, he's the most significant developer around, the only way is down.

This doesn't surprise me though. When he bought that house it was pretty clear he had no idea what to do with himself. All his actions were emulating "what rich people do". Buy a big house and entertain posers, it was all so cliche.
    WarrenM wrote: »
    See, here's the thing ... I don't know why he changed. Maybe he thought he had to or something. But he WAS perfectly happy at one time in his life. Coding away on projects in a room somewhere

When he was coding that space game (i've forgotten the name) he said he would never escape the standards of being "the next notch game" and his little project could never meet what people expected of it (its been awhile but i think that was it).
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    His whole scenario I can only relate to unlocking all the cheats in a game and getting bored after. The guy is a billionaire, I can't even comprehend what that must be like, let alone having to figure out which friends are genuine and who is just there for the ride.

Depression isn't linked to your financial status, I can't believe people still think that in this day and age. If you're depressed you're depressed. Billions of dollars doesn't change that, neither does a mansion in LA.

The Minecraft community is also massive. Imagine how it is when small features change in any other game and people flip out, then multiple that by a million.

I feel for the guy.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Paznos wrote: »
    When he was coding that space game (i've forgotten the name) he said he would never escape the standards of being "the next notch game" and his little project could never meet what people expected of it (its been awhile but i think that was it).

Then he should hide the fact that he created it. If he can't live up to the "notch" standard, then remove the expectations by not saying you're "notch".

Here's a new space game, by a small studio no one has ever heard of called "Boopity Bop Games".... No one has to find out Notch is behind it, unless his ego decides otherwise. I don't see why that's not an obvious solution.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's both possible to feel sympathy for the dude, while also thinking it's kind of silly.

Obviously people are going to feel judgmental of your decisions when you alone have the power to make hundreds of thousands of peoples lives better, whether it's dropping money out of a plane or by being smart and investing in people; But instead you are sitting in a mansion alone and depressed.

But then maybe the dude just needs a really good long hug :/.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This was the space game, I was excited for it, it seemed a lot like other space exploration games, but with a really cool concept, and need to program basic CPUs to help manage your ship. You could share computer code or infect other ships with a virus. It also might be part of Mojang and no longer possible to work on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0x10c
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Honestly, it's hard to imagine being that rich. It's almost unnatural.

Just as they're saying now that because of our evolutionary circumstance that physical movement is important to health and feelings of well being, i would imagine that because in evolution we always were needing to strive for a goal, whether it was finding shelter or making it better, getting the nights supper or finding water, it may very well be completely unnatural to the human body and mind not to need to do anything.

Imo, he should really focus hard on developing old or new hobbies and interests. Outside of family and friends i think its all we have and its not easy to get into certain things, some subjects require a lot of knowledge before you can even begin to appreciate them forcing you to have to "dive in" if it wasn't something you were brought up with.

My .01
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    All he needs to do is get in touch with Bill Gates, I'm certain that's possible. Bill will guide him on using his wealth in a responsible, and humanity furthering way.
  • Chev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chev polycounter lvl 11
    Joopson wrote: »
    Then he should hide the fact that he created it. If he can't live up to the "notch" standard, then remove the expectations by not saying you're "notch".

Here's a new space game, by a small studio no one has ever heard of called "Boopity Bop Games".... No one has to find out Notch is behind it, unless his ego decides otherwise. I don't see why that's not an obvious solution.
    His real name is known so it's pretty tricky. And even then, think of how people pretty much immediately guessed Moby Dick Studios' Joakim Mogren was Hideo Kojima.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If he truly codes for the joy of it, he could just do that again. Or work with a few friends on a small project. It's really only ego that would drive him to need to share it with the world and have to put up with the "Notch standard" stuff.

My personal feeling is he should take a year off and travel. See the world! Expand your head. He has such a unique opportunity here ... unlimited resources and he's rambling around the ibiza party scene. Damn it, Notch. :)
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I don't have a whole lot of empathy for the guy tbh. Sure I understand where he's coming from, but there's a lot of people out there in a similar situation who have far harder lives than he does. I think once you buy a $70 million mansion, you kind of give up some reasonable expectations of sympathy with your "oh god my life is so hard" sobbing into your bags of money.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it shows the power of depression, as has already been stated. Money won't solve it. This proves that.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Depression is absolute, not relative.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I can kind of relate to where he's coming from - I've obviously not had the fortune to experience it first hand, but it makes sense to me.

Like most developers he had his little project and his goal was to get it out into the public eye and make a success of it. The majority of people that do this never really get there, and they keep working towards greater success - it's an ambition or a dream, and having that goal gives you something to drive towards.

But what do you do when you actually reach that goal? Initially, it's fantastic, and you get the time and money to kick back, relax and do whatever - but shortly afterwards you no longer have anything to do with yourself, and this is when depression kicks in. He can't go and make a new game, because the challenge is already done; there's little satisfaction to be gained from completing the same puzzle twice, especially if the second time around it's effectively almost complete anyway (and game he releases now will get instant media coverage and sell quite well, but also never live up to Minecraft's impossible standard).

What he needs to do, is find a new objective, something that will keep him busy and give him something to work towards. It's a cliche expression, but it's the journey, not the destination.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be analysis paralysis ... when faced with endless options, how do you decide? You end up choosing nothing and feeling terrible about it.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I know is that i've never seen a sad person riding a jet ski.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I've also never seen notch riding a jet ski. It's all starting to add up.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I know is that i've never seen a sad person riding a jet ski.

I HAVE, however, seen many douchebags do that...
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I don't buy it, he could give the money to charity or split it with me then he would be back to nothing and normal again. Life does not have a complete button, or a complete achievement that he has hit yet. So much stuff to experience most people run out of time.

Hell become a scientist or something , pick a new career to pursue. It's funny on 1 side we have rich billionaires who are depressed and do nothing to help the world , the other side we have those who exploit it. Where is batman
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    There is always another challenge, always.
    (I've heard jet-skies can be quite a challenge)
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    why couldnt he start a really cool indie game publisher or something? he seem to have really nice values and certainly the money. that would be what i would do if i had that money, find projects i thought was really cool and fund the shit out of them. i mean, if he isnt interested in developing himself anymore.

share the money bro, you wont be able to enyoy it yourself! happiness comes from sharing anyways

Exactly! So many people out there have ideas for game but don't have the time nor the financial ressources to make them real...

I understand his complaint though but I sense some lazyness in there...
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    meh, He should just form another game studio or try out experimental projects with a team like a brainstorming R&D team if he's bored and lonely. Sort of think Will Wright, John Carmack, Ken Levine, etc and how they dipped their toes into other fields or started one of their own offshoot projects.

Partying can be fun, but partying all the time can leave you hollow, and partying nonstop can turn you into Charlie Sheen.

I really don't see the problem, I think most people go into games because they want to enjoy creating something that interests them, challenges them, or creates entertainment for others. Making a living from it is great, but you always have to worry about a project or job failing because of finances. With that much financial security he could do a ton of R&D or experiments, share his concepts if he wants, and never have to worry about making any sales. Having no worries about money does not equal being unable to create.

If he's worried about not living up to minecraft, he needs to get over that. If he were an artist I'd say he'd need to quit being scared of making a non-perfect stroke on a piece of canvas, just throw some paint on it with his eyes closed to get started, and go from there.

Hell, he could put his money into a space program and decide to become a monk if he wanted to. Or just stop wearing a hat, shave his beard, and live in an area that doesn't have the internet.

Depression can totally suck though so I do have some sympathy for him. I have to admit I found it quite ridiculous though when I heard that he bought that giant mansion and kept partying with a bunch of celebs. Not that it's wrong to enjoy that kind of money and lifestyle, but to go from an isolated programmer that liked to work on his own personal projects to that public a life seemed like too quick a move for anyone's sanity. aka balance is key.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    If anything this just shows how much of a shallow individual he is
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    In spite of his success, I think what this shows is that he was never that great of a developer.
    No remotely decent artist would stop creating just because they no longer needed the money from it, or because they didn't think they could create something as successful as what they already had.
    If that's the sort of perspective he has, he needs to just use that money to bail on game development altogether and find something else that actually interests him.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Strangely I feel sorry for him, just because he has more money then he can spend does not mean he is not allowed to feel lonely. Its like letting the fact that he has money define him as a person.

I was him I would take some time out, Spend some time with family, get a life coach (Tony Robbins), fitness coach, Dance coach and so on and basically not worry about making or doing anything and then wait for that spark to happen and see what takes your fancy.

Could be films, space, exploration, philanthropist, building schools/hospitals in the third world maybe even make a new games engine or web browser.

I also feel sorry for people like the Royal Family, imagine not wanting a job but due to your blood line having to do a job role for the rest of your life? I think this is what is weighing him down, he now has to much money people expect him to do something with his life, like make a game? maybe he hates the idea of games now?

I hope he finds happyness, it will be a sad tail if he ends up a mess like so many other celebrities. I hope he finds a good wife/husband/partner and finds his new direction in life.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9RunljdHow[/ame]
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    ambershee wrote: »
    I can kind of relate to where he's coming from - I've obviously not had the fortune to experience it first hand, but it makes sense to me.

Like most developers he had his little project and his goal was to get it out into the public eye and make a success of it. The majority of people that do this never really get there, and they keep working towards greater success - it's an ambition or a dream, and having that goal gives you something to drive towards.

But what do you do when you actually reach that goal? Initially, it's fantastic, and you get the time and money to kick back, relax and do whatever - but shortly afterwards you no longer have anything to do with yourself, and this is when depression kicks in. He can't go and make a new game, because the challenge is already done; there's little satisfaction to be gained from completing the same puzzle twice, especially if the second time around it's effectively almost complete anyway (and game he releases now will get instant media coverage and sell quite well, but also never live up to Minecraft's impossible standard).

What he needs to do, is find a new objective, something that will keep him busy and give him something to work towards. It's a cliche expression, but it's the journey, not the destination.

This is part that puzzles me honestly.

I mean really, to achieve our goals? I mean, i bet for many people here, noone has such goal that there couldn't be bigger goal. AS great as MC is, it could for sure be heavily improved, not to mention making different game.

I mean cmon, most of us here like making games. Getting tons of money does change your life for sure, but it doesn't have to change who you are.

I like making games. If i did MC and got all that money, if anything, it would just motivate me to work even more.

Why do i think so? Because i think most of us here don't have goal to be wilthy rich.
    No, i'd bet most of us have certain type of game we wish to make. And with that, there can always be bigger, better, or just different game. I have seriously hard time imagining that after first finished game, i'd loose all motivation and all ideas and goals.

I mean look at dunno, Iron maiden. They are old farts, being maybe the top on the scene for like last 30 years, does that stop them? Hell no, they just released new album, that is very...creative, especially for old farts like them. It's what they like to do, so wth would they stop?

From this, it only seems to be, that making games just isn't really what he likes to do. Which is fine of course, as people said, he just needs to find something that he actually likes to do.

Maybe i'm a bit naive and don't get me wrong, that's just how i see it, but i really can't understand the mindset that just because i have tons of money, it would stop me from doing what i like the most. It changes many things for sure, but not your goals, not in negative ways i would say...
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Chev wrote: »
    His real name is known so it's pretty tricky. And even then, think of how people pretty much immediately guessed Moby Dick Studios' Joakim Mogren was Hideo Kojima.

To be fair, Joakim is an anagram of Kojima. I hadn't heard of that story but I just figured it out. Notch just needs to make an alias that ISN'T an anagram of his name and no one would know.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'm in no position to tell him what to do, and depression sucks for anyone. So I just hope he figures things out and makes life better for him and the ones around him.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    In a weird way it reminds me of those kids on Steam who have thousands of games and instead of playing them they're always looking for the next game to buy. Imagine being able to go on amazon and just buy anything, everything, without even thinking about it. It certainly seems it would be hard to appreciate what you have.

I don't know anything about his situation, but he needs to somehow find a way to seperate his money from himself. A lot of rich guys live very modestly, I think Warren buffett is like that.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    However, just to remind you people, when he sold his company, the company he had founded with his friend, he took 70% of the money while leaving his friends picking up the rest..

After that, he buys a 80M house and organize parties with rich posers that probably dont give much fuck about him..

''Bou hou, I'm sad''..

He kind've deserved it in a way.

I've never head such story for exemple with Zuckerberg..

edit:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZhM56v9UVQ[/ame]

Image living alone in this place...when everone is gone after the party..