Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Projection Master Issue: transparent model 'ghost' post-pickup

I'm running into a problem when using the projection master tool in ZBrush that I don't recall occurring before.

(Background: I'm trying to make a very rough model for personal 2D art reference that maps out where the edges of the plates of a metal arm are from the Winter Soldier movie.)

I'd painted some details on part of the hand while in projection master, and clicked it again to "pick up" and rotate the subtool I was working with, but instead of behaving as I'd expected, I ended up spinning around a transparent, grey version that looked more like a silhouette.

In the "preview" window, I can see the red wax model as I'd expected it to be (new surface details and all) but on the actual canvas, I'm dealing with a ghost. Worse, it's a ghost of a subtool that won't let me switch into "edit" mode, and just creates endless copies of itself.

I tried a couple of different things, but none of them seemed to result in the nicely solid subtool I'd been hoping for. (I even tried re-loading the subtool from the tool palette, but it remained transparent.) I've googled a few things, too ("zbrush grey silhouette" and variations) but none of the proposed fixes people have suggested in the results I found have thus far worked for me.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

(If the gif below isn't clear enough / you want to see actual screencast of me fiddling around trying to make things work, you can see it on youtube.)

Any and all help is appreciated!

tumblr_nttptg52xF1snkmc2o1_1280.gif