Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ue4 Arid Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Bart Spellson polycounter lvl 5
Hello Guys, I have been working on my first landscape during my spare time although my previous environment were mainly based on hardsurfaces. So it was time to change and get out of my comfort zone to move forward and learn new stuff.

Hope you like it.
Any advices are welcome ! =)

we88S6r.jpggqwx7XZ.jpg0YyRICb.jpgVp75lAY.jpg

Replies

• Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    You need a few different meshes. They look god but allt hings aheve the same only rotated and sclaed vibe. A few very different mehs are needed. The same with the ground texture, break it a little up.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    Definitely tweaking adding a few variations of the meshes as well as adding color variation to them. In that first shot, everything is blending together because theyre all the same shade of green.
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advices and I agree with both of you. I was planning on doing it this weekend. Currently I'm working on a smaller kind of cactus then I wanted to experiment speedtree to make those kind of little trees you can see in a desert but the things is I don't really have an idea on how many polygons this one can have ? considering my target is for pc only.
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay here is the little update of the environment, still have to add more variation (=. I added a second variation of the cactus and made a new little one. I've been having some issues though with the small tree. I got some black side on it and after searching about the problem I end up finding some info about the lightmap resolution. After reading some threads I set the material to two sided and the shading model to two sided foliage as well. Then I end up getting something ok at a res of 2048 lightmap res. I wanted to know if a 2048 res is too high for a small tree ? Then the tree is about 7800 tris is this ok or should I reduce it ? There are 2 lod's set up on it.

5KWnLzK.jpg
    KDXM5KQ.jpg
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    That polycount of tree stump is not a problem, unless it will be heavily repeated. But if you're going to place it in small numbers, then it's not really a problem.
    Great progress, so far.

Cheers!
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thank you for the answer. I will update soon.
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, it's been a while and I'm sorry about this. I didn't stop working on this scene and I decided to move on a smaller one since I'm pretty busy with work.
    So I basically made a kind of a reboot. Worked back on the rocks with Zbrush and made a bunch of new rocks around 1500-3000 tris. I improved the lighting and worked on the post process. I was thinking of adding smaller pebbles rocks for my next step. Well, if you have some advice or suggestion about this scene let me know. (=

• Polyghan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyghan polycounter lvl 2
    Wow, huge improvement! Well done!

My first issue is with the rock walls, they look quite good, but you can see a lot of the seams where the individual rocks are clipped together. Try to play with the placement of the individual rocks to better hide the clipping seams.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Neat! Though it should be noted those types of canyons are generally not multiple types of rock stacked on top of one another, but layers of sediment built up over the years then washed away by erosion.

You can see how all the "layers" are generally the same color and the rock is of one piece, instead of multiple.  Which is to say your earlier stuff looked a lot more accurate.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Dang, I just wanted to stop by and say how impressed I am with your progress! That's super inspiring.
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello and thank you (=

Polyghan :
    hmm, I'm not sure to see the seams you are seeing. I might be blind... Ahah. With a picture showing them it could help me.
    FreneticPonies : Yes I see, I'll try to get back on those rocks and make something more accurate but it's also great to keep individual rocks for modularity. So I will see if I can make a sort of sediment cliff and keep the modulars rocks at the same time but in a more accurate way.
    Carabiner : Ahah thank you (=

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey nice progress here!
    Try making the landscape material a lot more rough it seems a bit too reflective here
    http://i.imgur.com/Tiga05N.jpg

Good luck. :)
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, so here an update of my scene following some of your advice.  I think, i will stop here because it's been a long time on it and it's good enough I guess. I know there is still a ton of stuff to re work and change but I need to move on a new personal project and keep progressing, I still have a ton of things to learn ahah. I hope you like it, let me know =)

Maximum-Dev : thank you =)
    And here a new rock sculpt on Zbrush.