Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alcazar Palace - Courtyard #2

Endcar
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Endcar polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys been awhile,

I decided to work on the Alcazar Palace in Seville, Spain. This thread will showcase my progress and I hope you guys might like or critique what you think might be a better fit to make it game ready.

[Reference]
4e07ec_9f6ce8ba222c47d9837be87053217391.jpg_srz_p_915_613_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

[Latest Environment Render]
11895017_10205515102222967_1940555185217317209_o.jpg

Replies

• Endcar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar polycounter lvl 5
    So to bring you guys up to speed as to what I've been doing the last few weeks. First week I needed to try and find the best workflow that might suite this project. Usually for organic/hardsurface props I would go Maya (low) -> Zbrush (High) -> Maya (Retopo + UV's) -> Baking (Program depends on best bake) -> Substance Painter (Base Paint) -> Substance Designer/Painter (Detail Passes) -> Photoshop for quick and easy fix -> then finally render.

So naturally I had the low res done quite quickly up until I found out that there was many more pieces I couldn't necessarily see in the reference and so I dug deeper, and slowly "sighed". Well I was determined to get it done anyways.

I thought of starting with the first floor; blocking everything needed and then completing a mid-res to get it ready for Zbrush.

11794442_10205469844811560_6590761689803884942_o.jpg
    (Rendered in Maya-Mental Ray)

Second Week I had to move quickly as I was falling behind with the first floor not being entirely finished and still didn't match the reference completely.

11895017_10205515102222967_1940555185217317209_o.jpg

The third week I UV'd and started importing everything into Unreal and it was definitely not where I wanted it to be. So I decided to go back and focus on something a little smaller in the reference and then start expanding further out.

Today I'm working with Projection Master inside of Zbrush.
  • seandxyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seandxyz polycounter lvl 5
    No wire frame shots or poly counts?
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Nice start. Looks like a pretty close representation of the reference. At a first glance it looks like some of the proportions are slightly off, but only slightly :D Can we see the wires?
  • Endcar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar polycounter lvl 5
    clinington wrote: »
    Nice start. Looks like a pretty close representation of the reference. At a first glance it looks like some of the proportions are slightly off, but only slightly :D Can we see the wires?

You certainly can. Did you wanna see the environment wireframe as well?

4e07ec_41832f3ad50d445285a074e530102343.jpg_srz_p_829_642_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looks great so far.
    looking forward to this
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar wrote: »
    You certainly can. Did you wanna see the environment wireframe as well?

Sure thing!
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EJtheArtist polycounter lvl 8
    Can't wait to see more!
  • Endcar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys not trying to leave any of yah hanging. Just been having to back track on some issue's I ran into when importing to Unreal as the latest pic was inside of maya for size comparison so I could make sure it fit the reference as much as possible. So in regards to the wireframe I'll upload that tonight (remember that was pre-alpha) so there is bound to be many changes.

This is one of the pillars with base textures.

[SKETCHFAB]fd0ccfa6262f4f83ace40be535e13b6a[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Elrinion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    That arch piece looks very good. similar process I've been using with the tiling.

Keep up the good work. o/
  • Endcar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar polycounter lvl 5
    Some progress on the scene 4e07ec_3c3be1b5926b413e89737ed53d0b6568.jpg_srz_p_838_467_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

(Assembled and lit in Unreal4)
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the lighting is letting this down a little at the moment. Are you still working on that? It looked a nice in your earlier renders and if you can match that again I think it will look a lot better.
  • Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    Yep, it looks kinda unlit right now. I think you can push shadows/light contrast a bit more.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    SUbbed, this is badass ! Keep it up !
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EJtheArtist polycounter lvl 8
    Hey! Jacob! Updates please! :) I hold similar interests in the work that you're doing, mostly pretty patterns and textures. The patterns and work can tend to feel overwhelming, but don't give up!
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    Looks incredible! I want to see it finished :smiley: